Alan Jackson
May 04, 2024, 10:34:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Nashville Flooded  (Read 18662 times)
HariAJFan

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2010, 09:12:08 pm »

FRom All About Country:

Nashville Overcome By Torrential Rains
Widespread Flooding Disrupts Tourism - 6 Deaths Reported
Flooding continues in the Nashville area following a weekend of nearly 20-inches of rain, setting a records for all of recorded history for the area. Check out this video summarizing scenes of the disaster by clicking here.

Pictured: the interior of the Opryland Hotel, which was partially evacuated over the weekend.

About 1500-guests of the Opryland Hotel were evacuated to area High Schools and Businesses. The Hotel was damaged when Nashville levees were breached. Gaylord has closed the Hotel and, at this time, has no estimate as to the extent of the damage or how long the Hotel will be closed.

Downtown Nashville was shut down this morning as water seeped into the mechanical room at the Country Music Hall Of Fame and Museum. Just a few blocks away--on slightly higher ground, the Ryman Auditorium has, thus far, escaped damage. So far, the same can be said of Music Row.

The Schermerhorn Symphony Center's basement was flooded and has reported the loss of two Steinway Grand Pianos and its Organ Console.

On the east side of the river at LP Field, the scene of next month's nightly CMA Music Festival concerts, water covered the field and surrounding parking lot.

Nashville Mayor Karl Dean says, “It’s shocking to see it this way, but it was an incredible storm.”

The Cumberland River is expected to crest this afternoon (5/3) at more than 11-feet above flood stage. Six fatalities have been reported due to the flooding, but officials fear more bodies may be found as flood waters crest and then recede.

Naomi Judd's buffalo reportedly escaped through a downed fence, but has since been recovered. Dierks Bentley's Up On The Ridge Tour cancelled shows in Charlottesville and Knoxville over the weekend and will resume the tour once things stabilize.

mar4aej

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:50:00 pm »

Naomi Judd has 6 loose buffalo I read.

Roger Bob Wills ..in the Strayhorns wrote on facebook that his home is
all gone but his roommate and 2 dogs were ok.  I had read on Sunday
there that he had friends to help before things worsened so maybe they
were able to get some things out...while he had to go on tour with Alan.

We were watching the nat'l weather channel on t.v. around suppertime
tonite and the reporter said by tomorrow morning sometime there would
be 6 feet Less of water where he was standing on the corner of 2nd Ave
and Broadway downtown. 

Also, I saw where there will be a Tues nite Opry show but it will be held
at the Veterans Municipal Auditorium downtown...on higher ground but
along the river.  I believe I read that the Opry had been located there at
one time...also it was at Belmont Theater....
AJSCALIFFAN

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:03:22 pm »

It's just horrible and sad about all the flooding in and around Nashville.  A friend that lives not far from Alan and down the road from Tim McGraw sent me pictures from their area.  Tim and Faith had a lot of damage on their property, but I don't know about their home.  She said all the rural roads are horrible down there and many impassable.

Marilyn, I heard they were going to do the Tuesday Opry at the Ryman since it is on much higher ground.  I'm surprised they will be doing it anywhere with all the flooding and damage.   

Livin' On Love in California
Kanaloa

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:37:26 pm »

It is so sad.  Blessings to all for their safety.

Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 11:12:42 pm »

Yes,
This is what I've been driving everyone crazy telling you about my son & family are in this . Churches were not even accepting anymore people and they could not get out at one time. My son tried to get sand or sandbag his home in front but water still came in most of the neighboorhood. Where his reception was held in Williamson Country.. is beautiful homes under water.. it came  fast and My son had to remove the rug in his LR , it was wet.. Water came up to his LR windows
but at that time had stopped. I can't get them now and I'm not sure if they are in a shelter. I had told them to go to the
Gaylord to stay with Children as that is where we stay, and we could wire them money to stay there but they Didn't.
 Thank God they didn't, it's all under water & guests were evacuated..I have been so worried about my Babies.. The Gaylord sign where we ate at each day, The Cascades was  water logged and the sign was floating in water..So sad, we had our Christmas w/ family there a few years back and shoped in that mall that was in water.. That is where my standup w/Alan in That old store on here, was made..

I will stop whinning now, you can read it in the News.. I just hope they are all ok.I hope Alan and family are fine Also Cindy and staff.. Gerge Jones lives near my son..I hope his place is not under water.  Sorry about Roger, that is bad to see your things under water..I think my son can save his home but it will be a mess. It's never been this way and she's lived in Nashville her whole life..I hope the Ryman holds up well, it's a beautiful old place..My DIL said the worst part was sirens going off and water rushing by so fast.I hope they are ok but haven't heard tonight..
I will have to stay offline until I hear from my family..Just have to call if possible. sorry if ANYONE has family there, it's so nerve wrecking. Take care and watch the News,
God Bless them all, Jerrie-FL

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:20:15 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
Luckylady44

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:18:36 am »

Thanks for more info on the flooding Harriett.  I did see where Northern GA got some.  I did not realize Lieper's (Leipers, sp) Fork got flooding also.  I usually stayed at the Wynndom resort right next to Opryland when I went to Nashville.  Just hate to hear of the flooding and damage.  The news is saying at least 5 days for the waters to recede, then clean up.   

Loving That Alan Jackson in South Carolina!
Cause life's a dance don't ya know
That's it, there you go

AJSCALIFFAN

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 11:18:19 am »

I just got an update from my friend near Leiper's Fork.  A person down the road from them died in the flood water. Water is up to the stage at the Grand Ole Opry, the mall is under about 10 feet of water, the Country Music Hall of Fame is flooded, as is the Sommet Center.  She said downtown Franklin is a mess with all those neat old buildings flooded.  The bridge next to Dotson's restaurant is gone.  She said the National Guard is in and around Nashville helping.  It's so sad to see the pictures and hear of all the damage.  They expect the water to start receding on Thursday.

Livin' On Love in California
CARNAHANBI

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 11:33:41 am »

So   sorry to see all the flooding  on the weather channel   and what pictures we are seeing on the tv.      Hope for everyones safety.

Living on Love     Arkansas
mar4aej

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 01:42:04 pm »

from WSIX radio in Nashville.
Today: Tues 5 4 2010

From 5am-MIDNIGHT tonight, it's the Clear Channel Cares - Middle TN Flood Relief Radiothon.

We've teamed up with our fellow Clear Channel stations and The Community Foundation
to raise money for the Tennessee Emergency Response Fund.

You can help by calling 1-888-540-5200 or go to their website to see the active links
for donating online.

http://www.wsix.com

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100504/ap_on_re_us/us_tennessee_floods

More victims feared as Tenn. floodwaters recede    

This article tells more downtown details..
lack of power 'for the rest of the week'...
"It will be Friday at the earliest," she said,
 "depending on how fast the water level falls."

Floodwaters also edged into areas of downtown, damaging the Country
Music Hall of Fame  and LP Field where the Tennessee Titans play, though
the Ryman Auditorium — the longtime former home of the Grand Ole Opry
— appeared to be OK. It was not immediately known how much damage
the Hall of Fame or LP Field received.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
a facebook album being put together by a group on there called:
 Hey National Media -- WHERE ARE YOU while Nashville is flooding???

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=58235128&id=6856295#!/photo.php?pid=1159825&op=1&o=all&view=all&subj=119011251459745&aid=-1&oid=119011251459745&id=1313180523

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:20:34 pm by mar4aej » Logged
jinx47

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 02:44:48 pm »

It's really easy to click  on the wsix website Marilyn posted above and donate.

JINX

LOVING ALAN FROM FLORIDA
HariAJFan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 04:54:09 pm »

It's sad to see these aerial views of downtown Nashville flooded. They are going to have some of the Opry performances at the Ryman which is on high ground- I remember walking uphill to get there. This is sad & the people that have lived there a long time say they've never seen anything like it.

Jeri, I feel for your son & his family.

mar4aej

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 05:03:06 pm »

from email sent by That Nashville Sound

The flood hits as the Opry was poised for an 85th birthday celebration.
Tuesday night's Opry show will be at War Memorial Auditorium and
weekend shows will be moved to the Ryman Auditorium. Both are
former homes to the Opry.

"While we ourselves are shaken by the impact of the flooding of the
Opry House and throughout the area, it is important that Nashville's
most treasured tradition continues with this week's shows," Grand
Ole Opry vice president Pete Fisher said in a release.

It's unclear how long shows will have to be moved to other venues
and it did not give details on how much water is in the Opry House.
Pictures of the stage door show water above the door knob and a
shot of the facade showed water several feet high as well.

The nearby hotel had 10 feet of water inside early Monday and flood
waters had yet to reach their crest early Monday evening. City officials
said earlier in the day the hotel would be closed for weeks up to several
months. The hotel's website said reservations would not be accepted for
several weeks.

Based on his own experience with the flood damage at his home, (Dierks) Bentley
wasn't optimistic about the Opry's stage: "At my house, if water touches anything,
it's ruined. That wood, hell, maybe it's got enough magic on it that it can survive the
worst. I think everything in there is toast."

The Country Music Hall of Fame also suffered damage from the heavy rains that hit
the Nashville area over the weekend, although no exhibits were in danger.

Water reportedly reached the third row of the Ford Theater in the museum's lower
level. A decision will not be made until Tuesday about whether to open the museum
that day. Earlier in the day, floodwaters were in a basement mechanical room.
katluvsaj

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 08:21:41 pm »

So sorry to read about all the damage and see the pictures.  What a mess!   Prayers for everyone's safety. 

Kathy

Alan Jackson's songs touch our minds, our hearts, our souls.
suem

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 10:12:40 pm »

So sad with the loss of life...and I feel awful for the families trapped.  Prayers to all in Nashville.  Jerrie, will be relieved when I know your family is safe.  Will keep praying for all.

alotaboutlivin

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 10:25:26 pm »

Prayers out to the families that have lost a loved one.... Material things mean nothing and can be replaced, but the loss of life is devastation...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: