Alan Jackson
May 04, 2024, 06:03:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nashville Flooded  (Read 18661 times)
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 08:52:05 am »

Sue, Thanks
My son, wife and babies are ok just worn out after cleaning up and trying to get things done w/a lot of stores closed.
They are real tired.. but call us ..I wrote about it under May .
Thanks Everyone for your concern . Nashville still needs our Prayers, they will most likely find many more deaths in homes.
I have been a wreck so concerned for the Babies & family but I think of Everyone there and offer my prayers.
Where is th News now? Fox? I guess it was too dangerous to report on ha! Still following Tiger.
They will be in later, when they are not needed because of clean up..
I'm going to try and send Dinner to my Son for Mother's day for the Family.. They have a Puffy Muffin that is great!and deliver.. bye for now, Jerrie

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
HariAJFan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 01:38:07 pm »

Opry-The Show Must Go On.
From All About Country:

The Grand Ole Opry Show Goes On
Flooding Won't Stop Opry Performances Tonight
Because of the severe floods in Nashville, the Grand Ole Opry will be using other Nashville venues this week. Last night's show was at the War Memorial Auditorium.

For the next few weeks, it's shaping up like this:

Thursday's Opry Classics remain at the Ryman
Weekend Performances move to the Ryman
Both The War Memorial and the Ryman are former homes of the Grand Ole Opry.

The extent of the flood damage to the Opry House is still being evaluated. The last time the Opry had to move was 35-years ago--the last time the Cumberland River flooded. It is too early to determine how long Opry operations will be impacted.

The Opry Call Center is temporarily out of service, and other operations on the Opry Entertainment Complex including Opry backstage tours and the Grand Ole Opry Museum, have been temporarily suspended.

Opry VP Pete Fisher tells us, “While we ourselves are shaken by the impact of the flooding of the Opry House and throughout the area, it is important that Nashville’s most treasured tradition continues with this week’s shows.

"We look forward to coming together both as the Opry family and as a great American city just as we have every week for nearly 85 years. Our hearts go out to all of those affected in the Middle Tennessee area.”

mar4aej

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 08:59:58 pm »

Concerts Despite floods, Grand Ole Opry held across town May 4, 2010

The venue was different, the tickets were handwritten and the gear was cobbled together. But the floodwaters that deluged Nashville couldn't stop The Grand Ole Opry.Marty Stuart kicked off Tuesday night's show, which was moved to the city's War Memorial Auditorium after 4 to 6 feet of water from weekend storms flooded the Grand Ole Opry House east of downtown.
Stuart, an Opry veteran, said it's not surprising the show went on: "That's what we do at the Opry."
The evening was as much catharsis as it was entertainment after a harrowing three days when floodwaters killed dozens, destroyed thousands of homes and flooded some of Nashville's most well-known attractions.
Opry officials aimed for as much normalcy as possible. Hundreds of fans turned out to see the show at the auditorium, the Opry's home from 1939-43. As she has for 11 1/2 years, Minnie Pearl impersonator Tessa Swinehart greeted fans outside with a super-sized, "Howdy!" She couldn't help but be affected by the devastation at the Opry House, though, after seeing pictures.
"It's very sad, very disheartening," she said.
Once the show got under way, Stuart was joined on stage by U.S. Sen. Lamar Alexander, who played piano on "Tennessee Waltz" and there were several poignant moments throughout the evening.
Longtime Opry member Jeannie Seely lost her house in the flooding. She said friends were surprised she was still going to perform a set, which she pulled off in borrowed shoes.
"Well," she told the crowd, "it's not like I can sit and watch TV on the couch," before adding: "You can either laugh about it or you can cry, and I don't feel like crying."
The rest of the week's Opry shows have been moved to the Ryman Auditorium, also a former site of the show and a part-time host currently. The Ryman wasn't affected by the floodwaters, but many of the city's musical landmarks and institutions were.
Country stars have expressed concern about the state of the Opry House since it was flooded Monday. Stuart, in an interview earlier Tuesday, said he'd been told of widespread devastation by those who witnessed it.
"What I understand is that as of yesterday one of my friends floated through the Opry House in a canoe and there was 4 feet of water on the stage at that time," he said. "The dressing rooms are a total loss."
It has yet to be determined if the Grand Ole Opry Museum, the Acuff instrument collection and the archives were lost. Stuart said if those things were destroyed, it would be "a profound American loss."
"I would say you lost photographs," he said. "I would say you lost film. I would say you lost audio and the costumes, instruments, manuscripts, boots. You know, just everything that goes along with the Opry and Opry stars."
Gaylord Entertainment CEO Colin Reed says it will be a minimum of three months before the massive entertainment complex that also includes the Opryland Hotel and the Opry Mills Mall hosts guests again. He said there will be thousands of workers on site within a week.
Opry General Manager Pete Fisher said it's too early to assess the damage in the Opry House. He called the evening historic because of the show's return to the auditorium and said it was a celebration of the enduring nature of the 85-year-old Opry.
"We're here to get the word out that the Grand Ole Opry is not a place, it's a show," Fisher said.
Of special concern was a 6-foot circle of wood from the old Ryman floorboards that was incorporated into the Opry House stage when it opened in 1974. Many consider it the very heart of country music.
Fittingly, the evening came to an end with the Opry's stars gathering on stage to perform "Will The Circle Be Unbroken?"
"It's done in such a way I would have to think when the water goes down it will still be there and that's what I've got my eye on," Stuart said. "That circle really is symbolic of the spirit, and so the circle will be unbroken, if you will."
___
On the Net:
The Grand Ole Opry: http://www.opry.com/
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 09:57:03 am »

Thanks for posting this.

Yes the lives are most important and it was scary for my family, but Houses can be replaced
, like Kenny Chesney said, whose house is under water. It will be on CNN today,or tonight by Anderson Cooper
The History is so important but we will always have the Music and Singers left to carry on the Traditions of the Grand Ole Opry. Some Singers were brought to tears seeing the results of the damage.. It is still sad to see your things ruined that are of great Memories.

The Gaylord Entertainment, Gaylord Hotel has been visited by many Presidents. It is the History that is bad to lose. It was so great to see these Historic places before and I'm so glad we were fortunate enough to spend a Holiday there with our family. It will be back , however... it takes time.
Mostly cleanups are going on now and making sure of homes under water , that no people are in them. The cleanups are
not so easy as the company's who do this are stressed to the max..I told my DIL to hire someone to clean the house and
take care of that furniture would not ruin etc.. but as she said , they are over busy with Everyone. Servpro or whatever.
Thank GoD she is involved with the Church and The Art's there, so they have people helping one another. babysitting and cleaning up. She is so great to help other people. now it is coming back ten fold.. She is worn out , however. She said to me. "Mom we are just overwhelmed with Babies and so much to do"..I'm sure others are in her situation. It's not a matter of money, but can't get the people who are so busy..The Red Cross is there now & Fema, so this has helped..
My dil said the most scary part was deciding "do we leave our home and take  a chance on drowning in cars in rushing water or stay Home and keep it from getting in and hope for rescue" with Babies.. They really had so scary moments..
Our prayers to the ones with lost Lives. Thanks to Alan for putting the numbers on this site where to find help etc.. I hope Cindy, Alan and family and his staff are ok. Some hotels are open.. Rain is expected again later, I hope this doesn't add to worsening..
Prayers to all concerned..
Thanks for all of your Caring about my family and others., That is like All Alan Jackson Fans would do.. Thanks!
God Bless and prayers needed for all of Nashville, Jerrie-FL & MS
PS- It's wonderful what the Singers are doing for the Opry etc..we met the  Minnie Pearl impersonator Tessa Swinehart
during one of the filming by GAC of Alan's shows.I have photos of her, she is really nice. The Opry will be back & the Gaylord no doubt, but right now it's just sad.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 07:43:21 am by Jeri_MS » Logged

mar4aej

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 02:59:27 pm »

I flipped off Anderson Cooper last nite during a commercial
and forgot to go back!  But I found this article and photo
online today on Eonline and see that I was right when I
thought this was Alan's former Fish Camp place:

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b179704_kenny_chesneys_house_goes_under_in.html

I had read earlier somewhere that the first floor was flooded and that would
mean their having to tear it down...

Also, many years ago we were on the Cumberland in KY and know that their rain
filters down to Nashville and we were seeing it really rushing and gushing on that
trip to KY.  Every time it rains people are going to be traumatized, I'd think.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 03:03:41 pm by mar4aej » Logged
suem

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 05:56:09 pm »

Kenny's interview.....picture of the flooded Fish Camp.
http://www.k102.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104651&article=7085326

katluvsaj

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 06:56:58 pm »

I watched that interview last night and thought that was Alan's former 'fish camp'.   
So sad for everyone affected by this disaster. 

Kathy

Alan Jackson's songs touch our minds, our hearts, our souls.
BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 11:47:13 pm »

Thank you to all of you who posted all the updates here on the flooding in Nashville and continue to do so. That is so horrific! I also feel sadden to hear about the damage the flooding caused at the GOO House & Museum and as well as the CMHOF. And my heart breaks for all who lost their lives or love ones and their homes. My thoughts and prayers for all of them.

BHR 

Luckylady44

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 06:16:00 am »

Just posted the CNN interview on my FB page.  We rode by the Fish Camp three years ago when Alan still owned it.  My daughter who lives in Savannah, TN, said there was flooding there also.  Schools are closed because of power outages, need for shelter, and problems from the flooding.  You can make a donation to the American Red Cross of Middle Tennessee.  As Kenny said, material possessions can replaced, but lives cannot.  My prayers to all of the folks affected by the flooding.

Loving That Alan Jackson in South Carolina!
Cause life's a dance don't ya know
That's it, there you go

Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 07:47:16 am »

Just posted the CNN interview on my FB page.  We rode by the Fish Camp three years ago when Alan still owned it.  My daughter who lives in Savannah, TN, said there was flooding there also.  Schools are closed because of power outages, need for shelter, and problems from the flooding.  You can make a donation to the American Red Cross of Middle Tennessee.  As Kenny said, material possessions can replaced, but lives cannot.  My prayers to all of the folks affected by the flooding.

The sad part of it is, things like the Acuff collection and others can't be replaced but perhaps they can be restored.
Thanks for your concern and prayers for all the families.

As Kenny said "Things can be replaced".. true, but my family is young with Babies and a huge house payment, plus they didn't plan to have two babies, however they feel blessed. Things are not so easily replaced with the job situation as it is.
It's like you have a shell of a house and you have to complety re-do it. Think if it was your home and even with money, it's a huge expense..a a big house payment for a house you can't live in well. Homes have to be dry before work can begin
It may take months . The smell of the dirty water is over whelming and homes smell musty and mildewy. My DIL is getting over stressed as are many others.. I can afford to replace my things too but young couples with Babies is a different story. Our son had just driven here to help his Dad get OUR yard in order after the winter. we have someone cutting our grass but he came anyway & did extra work. He is so good to us, I feel bad we can't return to help them there.My asthma prevents it and my hubby being ill. They don't ask for anything..but I know they need help..Prayers still needed.. many young couples in this situation with children.
Thanks.Jerrie-FL.
Sharon I hope your daughter and family will be ok.
>>THe Latest on Nashville and surrounding areas.. Sunday it rained again and more water seeped in homes, so a  day odf stripping more drywall off and not enough water & essentials in some neighborhoods. Here is a link , look under extra videos-Julie Roberts, that sounds exactly like at my sons house. here is the link..

http://www.gactv.com/gac/pac_ctnt/text/0,,GAC_26058_98169,00.html  

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 09:31:01 am by Jeri_MS » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: