Alan Jackson
May 14, 2024, 07:40:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Alan i n Champaign  (Read 26345 times)
BETTY

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2010, 12:19:50 am »

I just got to the motel from the concert.Alan was AWESOME as always .It was nice to meet up with all AJ 's FANS .Kim ,Annna,Gloria and Grandaughter,Patti.We all got to talk to Monty a short while .
     Thanks so much Cindy and Staff for the AWESOME SEATS .Great Show!!
sahay1962

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:01:25 am »

Awesome show!  I was able to stand by stage and actually get Alan's autograph and touch his hand!  I'm still walking on cloud nine!  I waited 20 years for this moment!
mar4aej

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:25:44 pm »

sahay12, were we standing next to one another?
I stood at the stage right area (the audience's left) for
most of the concert.  I also waited 20 years (plus a few more)
to meet Alan.  I also loaned him my black marker which he used
for most of the autographs at the end...all the way across the stage.
One of the sec. guys made sure to retrieve it when Alan threw it
down.. LOL and hand it to me. yeahhh

I loved Alan's sitting down and lining up the Strayhorns for a long
set of songs that way,,,didn't you?
I was standing there baffled when I thought he had asked for
song requests..and I heard one woman saying Designated Drinker
but he chose to sing Song for the Life which I absolutely adore!
He acknowledged that Rodney Crowell wrote it and he fell in love
with his version but no one sings it like Alan can, I feel.
Then he sang Sissy's Song is another one I wanted to hear for sure
but wondered if he would sing it 'in concert'.
What an awesome experience ... Loved both Chris Young and Josh
Turner's sets but had to leave about 15 mins before Josh was over
because there was no way I'd be a second late for that meet and
greet with Alan.  What a nite!!
mar4aej

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 02:27:29 pm »

Betty, I'm sorry we didn't meet last nite.  I did see and talk with
Carla and Sandy and Gloria, though. Thanks, Gloria, for introducing yourself
at the stage.

Some of my thoughts on last nite:

As Alan started his set, my friend wandered to the area in front
of the center stage and I stood at the stage right area (the
audience's left) for  all of Alan's part of the concert except that
I sat down during  Remember When and Where Were You...and
some slow songs.

There were 4 seats the 'girls' left vacant in the front row right in
front of our seats. (They sd it was ok and they stood for the entire
show...all 3 acts.) They sd they had been seated wayyy at the top
of the venue and were given those seats but I don't know if it was
someone from Alan's people or radio...or who Huh

Well into the concert, we loved Alan's sitting down and lining up the
Strayhorns for a long set of songs that way! He had to have sung 12
songs during that time!!
We were really amazed at how long they sat there and sang.

We didn't try for a setlist and are wondering if anyone has one to share?

During the time Alan was seated, I was standing there baffled when I
thought he had asked for song requests.. If he had asked me directly,
I couldn't have come up with one. LOL
A woman standing behind me was yelling Designated Drinker
(about 3 times) and instead he chose to sing Song for the Life which I
absolutely adore!
He acknowledged that Rodney Crowell wrote it and he fell in love
with his version but no one sings it like Alan can, I feel.

Then he sang Sissy's Song next which is another one I wanted to
hear for sure but wondered if he would sing it 'in concert'. It was
during this set where he inserted The Bluesman, too.
None of that blue smoke this time.  

Oh! and on one song Alan started them all off on the wrong key...but
he mentioned it as the song ended. He said 'These guys are So Great
that they worked it out to get us back in the right key ..smoothly.'
He was so impressed that 'they know when not to follow his lead' he sd.

Early into the show, Alan was throwing out guitar picks and he came over
and dropped one just for me on the stage about 4 inches from the edge!
Yep, I gathered it right up but really had no one to contradict my getting it, either.

Another time that Alan came over by us and treated the lady to my right (who stood
 the entire show as well--she had a cane). I had told her about the empty front row
seating but she was determined to stand there instead and she was short like me.

One other time, when Alan came our way, I had my hand above her head pointing
to her...like come and touch her hand, which he did,,,and he handed her a guitar pick!
What a sweet man!

And later during the autographing session, he touched her hand again instead of giving
her an autograph as she had nothing and didn't think to use her ticket for that. He held
onto her hand and made it very meaningful for her.

Also, I loaned Alan my black marker which he used for most of the autographs at the end...
all the way across the stage. He saw me about 2 songs before the show ended (and the 2
encore songs were performed) as I held up my marker so he knew where to go to have one
at the ready! He took someone else's marker first, though, and signed about
3 or 4 items and threw it down. My heart sank ..and I thought 'is that all he's
going to sign? '
He was singing...and then he sauntered over and took my item first and signed in and
signed a few things to my left which was the end of things on our side of the stage...

One of the sec. guys made sure to retrieve it when Alan threw it down after using it all
the way across the stage and back to center stage where he threw it down (but I had
retrieved the top where he took the pen from me and discarded the top) LOL I was so
happy when the sec. buy handed it to me. yeahhh This was a big/tall guy so he could
easily reach a bit for it.

What an awesome concert experience this evening was for us. Of course we both Loved
both Chris Young and Josh Turner's sets but I had to leave about 15 mins before Josh
was over because there was no way I'd be a second late for that meet and greet with
Alan. It was a wonderful m&g experience but ridiculously Short, etc.

I told the guy Inside the Tent while waiting my m&g turn that it had been over 20 yrs
since I had waited for his experience. He told me 'that should earn a hug!' He kept egging
me on (like 3 times) but I didn't hug Alan... I know...silly me.. I had permission,
even!

So, when it was my turn, I walked towards Alan and he is braced for the next person (me)...

He is sooooooo huge! and he looked freshly showered...hair had tiny curllls. Wink I have to tell
you the moment I spoke, he started to tremble slightly. Yeahhh I made Alan Jackson
tremble
. ha
He was wearing a white hat, light blue jeans, and a brown shirt that was finely striped -
light grey boots I believe... His shirt almost had a moray type of look to it because the
stripes were so closely lined together.

When I knew Alan could hear me and was focused on me, I stopped a sec before I was
all the way up to him and told him,
 "Alan, I've waited over 20 years for this moment."
And he sd something like. 'Well, you are here now, Darlin'...'
He kept saying Darlin'...
I thanked him for the experience... They snapped the pic, twice...
I hope we both had smiles. I believe it will be fine. Have to go later to find those.

Then I told Alan that I had left an album with Jeff (the rd mgr) and Alan sd not to
worry that 'Jeff takes good care of all those things.'
Jeff appeared to take us all to the meet and greet earlier and I approached him and
introduced myself and told him I had been waiting over 20 yrs for this experience...
and then asked him if he would Please consider taking the album to Alan for me.
He really didn't want to make an exception but thought it over about 3 times before he
agreed to do it... You could see the gears grinding. ha
When I pointed out that it was some of my own fav. photos and that I had made the
album from scratch. I felt he was impressed enough to be then comfortable with his
decision.

I bet Alan thought it was previous concert photos..but it was nature shots mostly that
I've taken over time and with various cameras. I addressed the note to the entire family
and mentioned that Alan's Cracker Barrel calender inspired my creating and sharing it
with them.

So I thanked Alan again and it was over.
Alan last sd to me, "Thank you for coming, Darlin'"

I don't know how good he smelled, but he sure looked wonderful.
We passed by his bus waaaay back there in the venue, too, before we
reached the tent.

There were only about a dozen people back there as well as a couple
who were 'with the venue' and they 'had to be last' the woman told me.
She was carrying a huge tin filled with some goodies and cellophaned.

Before the show, we made it into Chris's fc m&g and they allowed us to go first
because we had the VIP m&g with Josh Turner right in the same area. I left a 5 X 7
magnet sleeve with his rd mgr with a Dec pic of Chris at the Ryman...and the facebook
note to him from Billy Yates.

Josh's VIP m&g was nice and you could chat with him as he was between people. Then
they had us all stay there for a group pic with Josh which we are waiting to learn from
them where to get it online.

Alan ended the show with Great Balls of Fire... not a song I'd have pegged for him to
sing Anywhere...but it was a rousing way to end things. He sang from 9 pm to about
10:45 so we felt we got our money's worth -- Always from Alan!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 02:46:11 pm by mar4aej » Logged
AJTexasfan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 02:51:36 pm »

Marilyn, thanks for a wonderful review.  I felt like I was right there in front beside you!!  Your experience with your M&G was so detailed that I could remember the little details from mine last year!!!  Thanks for sharing.

"But old Tennessee and me couldn't take Texas out of her"
mar4aej

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 03:03:43 pm »

You are very welcome.  I feel silly but Happy that I tried to put
it in words.  It really was very special and I'm glad that you can
relive your own experience through reading mine! Wink
I hope others don't think I've monopolized this topic... I'd love to
read about the other fans' thoughts from last nite's show, etc.
jinx47

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 03:27:24 pm »

Marilyn, I am so happy for you.  What a fantastic evening you had!  Thanks for sharing!

JINX

LOVING ALAN FROM FLORIDA
mar4aej

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 04:16:52 pm »

It was, Jinx!  Alan made everyone feel special I thought.
That concert was magical.  Knew it would be, though. Wink
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 05:22:13 pm »

Marilyn,

Thanks for the wonderful review! sounds like you were in awe of Alan a bit, ok more than a bit LOL. a Lovely meeting wasn't it! I told you, "You made him shaky" ha! see that is what I mean is so great about Alan, he is super nice and so
humble. The" darlin' " is natural for him, so glad you had such a wonderful experience & loved what he said about your saying"I've waited 20 years for this." that is so precious! Love the Songs he did too, my favorites, He did Blueman, WWY
and what new one did he do? Or do you remember the songs LOL. So happy for you & you got to meet some fans too. I was on a high for days after meeting Alan & still can recall every word..You will remember that time forever.
so you like Alan's new way of sitting to sing with the StrayHorns, can't wait for that experience!!
You must be really purty to make Alan shaky.. haha! So glad you got to meet Alan but you should have hugged him.,.

The people who work for Alan, his road Mgr is so nice..and the STRAYHORNS too! I got to say hello to Roger & Monty, that lit up the night with Roger's smile and monty's good natural talk.Got to shake hands w/him. Older ladies get to shake hands lol. he is cute and nice..I am so glad he came outside by our seats(@St Augustine) to talk a while to Fans, I got a chance to say hello finally..

Isn't it amazing to see Big Tall Alan standing there waiting for little ole You! ha! It made me a bit like everything just slowed down or perhaps I nearly fainted...I started teasing Alan about driving all the way from  FL to see him, just to get over the nerves..Funny but whomever said their husband said"he puts his pants on one leg at a time." that is exactly what my husband tells me LOL.. I said "oh.. does he do that on stage too", LOL he never said that again,,.lol,,, MEN!!

So your M & G was outside, I had to go behind the stage into a room, they had fixed up. I don't think I could have walked outside, we had just walked from a restaurant about a mile before I saw Alan..we didn't want to move our car from the parking place up close. so we walked and it ended up being much further that it looked, back to the Venue LOL My hair was wet..I thought the photo would look much worse than it did..ha! I would have hugged him, had my hair not been a mess and my face wet from humidity outside..that walk was so long..I was puffin ha!
 I can't wait to see your photo.. it will take a few days perhaps, Be sure to save it in the bigger photo..You can see it yourself soon, but it will take them a while to post online..

Marilyn, it sounds like you made that Lady's Day by Alan holding her hand. That was so sweet of you..You must be really nice to do that and lend Alan your pen..I could not think straight. You did much better than I ha! ..I am Just so delighted for you, after waiting 20 years.. I thought you were young and you are, I'm older than you maybe  hon.I sound like a nut and my typing is fast & messy..but I'm an older Lady..People do not believe my age, even my doctors LOL I just am a tease but I appear very serious. I can't wait to meet you one day, thus far I only met, Sue, Dizzy & Mazie, Terry, Louann and her friend Debbie,oh yes Sharon went to the stage with me at UCF and Jinx, said hello to me there.I met another couple there and her husband but she lives in Gainsville, FL..I lost her address when our computer was struck by lightning..The one before this one..I hope to meet them again someday, her name was Frances but I forgot her last name. She was nice!
She even sent me photos of Alan and us up at the stage..also of Debbie grout(sp?), I think her name is. she was having a shirt signed..I had photos of her my hubby made and sent to her but not sure she ever got them or not..Dizzy, she was sitting by you @Ucf I think.. well Marilyn, thanks again for the review , it was so great, wasn't it LOL 20 years and worth it! Alan is the Best Country Singer I ever met in my life. we have seen all of them in Nashville, yes! I saw Clay Walker once & he floored me. so good looking  ha! Still I like Alan best..overall humble, Tall, Super Nice!! Singer extrordinary/Songwriter!!
and Much.Much more!!! The Band is awesome too!
Thanks again for the Nice Review of your night Meeting with Alan!!! (Sherry, it made me remember my experience too from hers..)
So Great! Nice..God Bless, Jerrie-FL
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:47:07 am by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
katluvsaj

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 07:13:35 pm »

Marilyn, thanks so much for the great review of the show & your M&G - I'm so happy for you.  I'm so happy you monopolized this topic - you did wonderful.  I felt like I was right there with you.  I hope my turn at a M&G comes soon, but I'll be patient.  They say that good things come to those who wait and they did for you, it took you 20 years!!   
Thanks again for a super-special review!

Kathy

Alan Jackson's songs touch our minds, our hearts, our souls.
Jackie7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 11:15:14 pm »

Hello to everyone. 

The Champaign concert was AWESOME!! All three of those guys were real good.  I really enjoyed Josh Turner.  I bought a cd of his years ago and sing to his songs on the radio.  He's funny how he likes to flirt with the crowd. 

Alan was the best! I like how he changed the show some.  He does some songs you can sing and dance to, then a history/storytelling part about how he came up with some song ideas and a cute joke about "Don't Rock The Jukebox" (or should I say "Juice Box").  lol  Smiley  Then he does some more songs you can sing and dance to, then the final encore.  I was really surprised, but absolutely LOVED the ending---"I want to love you like a lover should.  You're fine, so kind.  Got to tell the world that you're mine mine mine..."................OOOHHHH WHAT A THRILL!!!

"All great truths begin as blasphemies."--George Bernard Shaw......................................."It's something unpredictable, but in the end is right..."--Billie Joe Armstrong
mar4aej

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 01:45:45 am »

Thanks, Kathy, for sharing in the fun Afterglow here! Wink

Thanks, jackie7, for sharing some more about the concert as you touched
on things I didn't and your words brought up more memories for me.
Nearly 2 hrs of Alan singing...

Now I can say it was worth the wait, Jeri!  Wink
He sang It's Just That Way...and Hardhat and a Hammer and someone
had him sign a white hardhat at the end there.   We were a little
surprised they didn't perform Freight Train...it's the album name but
not a released single...

We didn't go outdoors...just below ground of the venue
and the bus was parked down there, too... we passed it.
The tent is the type people rent for parties...all enclosed and it was
setup back in one of those concrete walled rooms...in a corner.

One of the other people in our m&g with Alan is a DJ here in IL
and he told me as we passed Alan's bus that it is the Biggest tour
bus he's ever seen ...and I told him Alan needs the head room and
the leg room.   This DJ has a guitar he has been taking to many of
the same concerts we've been seeing lately and having singers sign
it. He has a great pic of himself and Josh Turner with it from Thur
nite's show and then JT's people took it to AJ's people for signing
and then Toby got it back later somehow as he didn't have it when
we exited the m&g area.

The camera was set up high on a tripod that was about level I think
with Alan's chest level.
my pic link is:
http://alanjacksoncom.s3.amazonaws.com/store/images/large_meetgreetphotos_042910009.jpg

I thought I had left it here.  I am up at 1:40 am... so going to bed now! LOL
Too wound up from all of this!!
fins91

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 06:49:50 am »

I sure enjoyed everyone's stories and M & G picture! Thanks for sharing!  It's my turn tonight and I've never been so excited....I just may be too nervous to speak!  Alan is just AMAZING!!!
bb2832

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 09:40:35 am »

Thanks so much for sharing your concert experiences. He is a special person!

Brenda in Indy

Brenda in Indy
"Life is a journey, not a destination"
mar4aej

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 01:43:56 pm »

fins91, now you know ahead of time what the background is
they are using for the m&greets and can dress to color
co-ordinate.  I was happy with my pic...  Do wonder why they
keep using shiny backgrounds, though.  I wouldn't do that and
I'm not a pro like they are... seems strange to me.
It was very dark in that tent.  I looked over at AJ waiting for the
girl ahead of me and thought 'That background better be reflective
or we are doomed to be saddened with a memory caught in too
dark of a setting.'

Glad you all took time to share the Champaign show with us as
we try to find the words to fit the feelings it left us with! Wink

We will be happy to read the fans' thoughts on the Evansville show
and then the Rosemont show!!  He is moving like a Freight Train and
I hope we can all keep up!  LOL

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: