Alan Jackson
May 14, 2024, 02:28:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Album Tips for some new AJ fans?  (Read 15095 times)
Bostonhonkytonk

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2012, 07:50:07 pm »

My friends and I are new AJ fans.  A friend from Norway how is a MASSIVE AJ fan said we should get his records.  Funny how someone so far away has to tell us about someone in our own back yard....hmmm.... anyway.....  I only own 4 albums so far (all recommended as starters from my Norweigan friend): Freighttrain, TMW, Red on the Rose and Drive (my favorite).    Suggestions on what to get next would be appreciated.   

I got a bug in my Margarita.....
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:28:55 pm »

My friends and I are new AJ fans.  A friend from Norway how is a MASSIVE AJ fan said we should get his records.  Funny how someone so far away has to tell us about someone in our own back yard....hmmm.... anyway.....  I only own 4 albums so far (all recommended as starters from my Norweigan friend): Freighttrain, TMW, Red on the Rose and Drive (my favorite).    Suggestions on what to get next would be appreciated.  

I Love Alan's;
 Greatest Hits Volume 1 &2 DVD
Congrats on your collection thus far, all great Songs! Jeri
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:17:46 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
Bostonhonkytonk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 11:40:47 pm »

Thanks, Jeri!  I've added it to my list. 

kimberly

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 01:00:49 am »

I love all Alan's albums..
you should include "Good Time", What I Do, Who I Am..
my personal faves are two of his early recorded Christmas albums.. Love those!
I play them every year around holiday seasons..

AJ IS THE BEST
vamp1227

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:48:00 am »

I also enjoy Good Time and High Mileage..but whatever you get you can't go wrong as far as Alan's music goes..

RAY
Bostonhonkytonk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:38:55 am »

Last night I bought the Greatest Hits Vol. 1 album (based on the tip here) and I bought Good Time.   I'll be buying more in the coming weeks so thanks again.  So much to listen to.  Smiley

BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 10:15:38 am »

Bostonhonkytonk, welcome to the forum! The very first album of Alan I purchased was A LOT ABOUT LIVIN', A LITTLE ABOUT LOVE and I really loved all the songs there. I highly recommend all of Alan's greatest hits album to include his very first one, THE GREATEST HITS COLLECTION, his follow up, THE GREATEST HITS VOL. I & II and his latest and last one with his former record label, Arista Nashville, 34 #1s. That last one has just been re-released with new cover and title,THE ESSENTIAL ALAN JACKSON, as shown in the MUSIC page of this website. All of these albums are also available on (music videos) DVD. And, as Kimberly recommended, Alan's two Christmas albums, HONKYTONK CHRISTMAS and LET IT BE CHRISTMAS is a must for the holidays. I would also recommend that you listen to his gospel album, PRECIOUS MEMORIES, of which he did a special show on at the Ryman that is available too on DVD. He recorded this gospel album originally as a Christmas gift to his Mama but was encouraged to release it and it did very well in the market all on its own. I agree also that all of Alan's albums are good and, as we, AJ fans, all do, I'm sure you'll love them all too. Enjoy them all and happy listening!

BHR

honkeytonkpat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:43:55 am »

HI Bostonhonkytonk, I am from the UK and I have been an Alan Jackson Fan for many years  and I recomend 34 Greatest Hits that will give you a good listen to his music over the years, also What I Do is another one . I hope this will help you and good listening .
Bostonhonkytonk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 08:47:58 pm »

Bostonhonkytonk, welcome to the forum! The very first album of Alan I purchased was A LOT ABOUT LIVIN', A LITTLE ABOUT LOVE and I really loved all the songs there. I highly recommend all of Alan's greatest hits album to include his very first one, THE GREATEST HITS COLLECTION, his follow up, THE GREATEST HITS VOL. I & II and his latest and last one with his former record label, Arista Nashville, 34 #1s. That last one has just been re-released with new cover and title,THE ESSENTIAL ALAN JACKSON, as shown in the MUSIC page of this website. All of these albums are also available on (music videos) DVD. And, as Kimberly recommended, Alan's two Christmas albums, HONKYTONK CHRISTMAS and LET IT BE CHRISTMAS is a must for the holidays. I would also recommend that you listen to his gospel album, PRECIOUS MEMORIES, of which he did a special show on at the Ryman that is available too on DVD. He recorded this gospel album originally as a Christmas gift to his Mama but was encouraged to release it and it did very well in the market all on its own. I agree also that all of Alan's albums are good and, as we, AJ fans, all do, I'm sure you'll love them all too. Enjoy them all and happy listening!

BHR

Just so I understand 34 Number Ones is now The Essential AJ?   I will definately buy the Xmas albums for the upcoming holiday season. 

Bostonhonkytonk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 08:50:21 pm »

HI Bostonhonkytonk, I am from the UK and I have been an Alan Jackson Fan for many years  and I recomend 34 Greatest Hits that will give you a good listen to his music over the years, also What I Do is another one . I hope this will help you and good listening .

Thanks.  I'm sure in time I'll have them all.  I plan to, anyway.  So far I love everything I've bought. 

BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 09:49:13 pm »

Just so I understand 34 Number Ones is now The Essential AJ?   I will definately buy the Xmas albums for the upcoming holiday season. 

Yes, you are correct. When Alan decided not to renew his contract with Arista Nashville, in 2010, after being with them for two decades, he did one last album for the label, the 34 #1s album. It was a bit of a disappointment for me as I thought it would have been more appropriate for Arista Nashville to have given Alan a box set instead after Alan has given them two very successful decades of business. Anyway, here's how the album cover looked then:

http://www.amazon.com/34-Number-Ones-Alan-Jackson/dp/B0044DL9TA/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1349316898&sr=1-3&keywords=alan+jackson

A few months ago, Arista Nashville re-released some of their more recent albums including Alan's 34 #1s and Brooks & Dunn's final album, before they retired and split up. . . .they're on solo careers now. Their covers were changed and the albums were titled, "THE ESSENTIAL. . . ." I do love the cover they chose for Alan's album, though (I have both of these albums). . . .I think it's a whole lot better than the original cover. Here's how the album cover look now:

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Alan-Jackson/dp/B00795C6MO/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1349316898&sr=1-4&keywords=alan+jackson

Happy Listening!

BHR

AlanfanBecky

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 09:52:32 pm »

Boston, you won't go wrong with any of Alan's albums.  Even the deep cuts are winners.  So many great songs and such a great style and delivery.  The session players are all stellar and Keith Stegall, as producer, knows exactly how to get the right sound for the best recording.  Great music all around.  
HAPPY LISTENING!

"we won't be sad, but we'll be glad for all the life we've had and we'll remember when"
Remember When by Alan Jackson
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 11:04:59 pm »

Boston, you won't go wrong with any of Alan's albums.  Even the deep cuts are winners.  So many great songs and such a great style and delivery.  The session players are all stellar and Keith Stegall, as producer, knows exactly how to get the right sound for the best recording.  Great music all around.  
HAPPY LISTENING!

Becky I agree. I enjoy all of his work . He is a great Singer/Songwriter Indeed.

BHR thanks for telling all you did to explain about Alan's recordings etc.. I did just ordered myself the one you spoke of, "PRECIOUS MEMORIES, of which he did a special show on at the Ryman that is available too on DVD" It is Great!
I saw this Show and was in the audience when he presented it at the Ryman! That is why I wanted this one especially. I had the DVD of the Songs. i gave two of these away as Gifts, Love the old Hymns. Also I forgot to say I have & Love Alan's "Let It Be Christmas" DVD and we play  it every Christmas Holiday. Alan performed this In DC, a  while back.

Thanks BHR for all your comments & Fans who told things abiut Alan's career. I'm not feeling well enough presently to go into much details and you all shared a lot of good information. Thanks, Jeri
PS-I forgot to say I Love Alan Jackson's "What I Do", it contains great Songs;

1-Too Much Of A Good Thing
2-Rainy Day In June ( Love This one!)
3-USA Today
4-If Love Was A River
5-If French Fries Were Fat Free
6-You Don't Have To Paint Me A Picture
7-There Ya Go
8-The Talkin' Song Repair Blues

9-Strong Enough

10-Monday Morning Church  ( one of my favorites w/Patty Loveless)

11-Burnin' The Honkey Tonks Down
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:19:06 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 09:37:48 am »

Jeri, you're very welcome! I wholeheartedly agree with you and AlanfanBecky on your sentiments about Alan's albums. Continuing my thoughts and prayers for you and your husband.

Bostonhonkytonk, I amiss to mention also that Alan's HONKY TONK CHRISTMAS album was also released with a different cover in 2000 and just like the 34 #1s album, I also love this new and current album cover much better. The original cover for it at its release in 1993 looked like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Honky-Tonk-Christmas-Alan-Jackson/dp/B000002VNK/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1349360899&sr=1-3&keywords=alan+jackson+christmas+cd

In the 2000 re-release, and now the current cover, it look like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Honky-Tonk-Christmas-Alan-Jackson/dp/B00004R95T/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1349360899&sr=1-2&keywords=alan+jackson+christmas+cd

BHR

Bostonhonkytonk

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 09:18:05 pm »

Wow, thanks for all the info, guys.  A couple of really good friends are also new fans and I think they'll be joing the AJFC, too, so this thread is a great resource for the newbies.     

I've seem The Essential cover and the 34 #1's cover.  I'll buy The Essential AJ.  Smiley  I also didn't know the Christmas record was reissued with a new cover, so thanks for that, too.

I also love vintage American music and some of our hymns are just beautiful.  I haven't heard AJ's album of hymns so I look forward to hearing that, too.  Only a voice as wonderful as AJ's can do some of our old American standards justice.
Someone on this thread said he originally recorded this for his mom.  What a great gift!   

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: