Alan Jackson
May 04, 2024, 06:00:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Alan Jackson Highway': Durrett, Oakley team up for newly-released single  (Read 7227 times)
Somebody

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2011, 07:19:49 am »

http://www.times-herald.com/close-up/Durrett--Oakley-team-up-for-newly-released-single--1687847
BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 12:17:09 pm »

Somebody, thanks for posting this. Since Taylor Swift did the song "Tim McGraw," I guess it's just fitting that another artist, though still very much (relatively?) unknown would also do a song with Alan's name in it. It doesn't sound too bad, although, I was hoping for it to sound more country than it does. Give this tune a listen here (lyrics included):

http://kelseyoakley.bandcamp.com/track/alan-jackson-highway-hometown-mix

What do you all think of it?

BHR

HariAJFan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 01:45:18 pm »

She has a really good voice. Maybe this song will help her get better known. Thanks for the links, Beth & BHR.

dizzydean

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 09:29:58 pm »

I thought the girl had a good voice...
Harriett I do like your new picture of Alan  I really like him in the light blue shirt and the gray but maybe you could say I like him in the light colors shirts..

"Lovin AJ since 1990"
bb2832

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:56:34 am »

Thanks for sharing. I think she sounds good. I'm sure it touched Alan, if he's heard it.

Brenda in Indy
"Life is a journey, not a destination"
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 12:19:11 am »

Thanks Beth,

I think Alan will be very honored w/her singing this Song"Alan Jackson Highway." I really think she is wise to take lessons
and she has a strong voice and I think  a very good voice. I wish her much success.
Perfect name, "Kelsey Oakley" For Country Music.

BHR, can't undertand what you mean by , "not being Country enough," Please explain..

I think she has a good career ahead of her, she is working with successful people and took voice lessons early on, very wise to me. She seems to me like a natural.

Dizzy, Alan looks great in Black or especially Lt  beige and /or earthy colors. He wore Black when I met him, so it's my favorite on him now ha! He looks Great in anything. The other photo Harriet had up of him, looked more like him in person.

Thanks BHR for sharing the link, I think Alan will understand the Song and like her singing it..Sounds Great to me!Love it!
Take care to all, Thanks Beth again for the link, Jerrie-MS

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 03:50:36 pm »

BHR, can't undertand what you mean by , "not being Country enough," Please explain..

Jeri, first of let me reiterate here the infamous remark Minnie Pearle (sp?) had said that words doesn't make a song a country song. I think the premise there is that a songwriter can write real great lyrics for a country song but it will not be a country song unless the melody is sang like how a country song is meant to be. . .from it's traditional origin or, at least, close to it like Alan, GS and many others has done and does. It's without a doubt that Kelsey Oakley have a beautiful voice, but if what she's leaning towards to with her singing career is in country music genre, which I'm not sure exactly yet from her singing this song, she seems to be gearing in the same singing style as that of Carrie Underwood's, which, with my apologies to all of Carrie's fans, I hardly call country (yes, I'm not a fan of Carrie's).

That said, with the inclusion of Alan's name in the song and its title and with it somewhat of a tribute to Alan, I was hoping for it to have more of a country flare than pop, whether it may have been an upbeat song or, as it is, a ballad. I guess I'm thinking more along the same way Reba, Lee Ann Womack, Martina Mcbride, Tricia Yearwood, Pam Tillis, Patty Loveless, Crystal Gayle and many other great country music ladies of the '70s, '80s and early '90s has done it with their musics. That to me is REAL country music. I hope I have explained it well what I meant by my comment of the song not sounding country enough. Thanks for asking me for an explanation. I don't feel very comfortable stating my opinions or making explanation about them, whether at a forum or in person unless I'm asked by others to do so. I appreciate you're asking me for it.

BHR

Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 05:20:28 pm »

BHR, Thanks for explaining, appreciate it

.. I know some young Singer whose music goes over into the pop cat. Like Taylor Isn't exactly Country to me. She writes well but I do wish she had took voice early on, like this young Lady did. I doubt Country Music will ever be the same as before and I hate to say that.. I hope they go into Bluegrass and perhaps this could lead back to Great Country Music like Alan Sings.I think this young girl from a small town is good and look for her to be a huge success.Sierra Hull, Birdstown, TN.
She has the success behind her and I hope a great future..

Carrie Underwood is a lovely sweet young Lady in person,being a Christian is mostly what I admire about her.She said "Alan Jackson's Concert " was the first Concert she went to. smart young Lady huh..I loved the Song she did for her Moma.
also"Jesus Take The Wheel". She wrote a bit in Denise's book, in the beginning, so she is a very good person..I think you have to see her in person, to evaluate her really well. I was impressed with "Little Big Town" when they opened for Alan..
The Two Young Lady's are so sweet..and talented..Luv Phillip from Arkansas, he waved to me..ha!
Harriet, I saw the girl at the Opry who sings about the old couple who were in love once and later would meet in a Nursing Home..Do you remember her name, I'd love to buy her Music. She sings real Country..I've seen so many I can't remember them all, at the Ryman & Opry.Larry Gatlin is going to be performing there now too.Mel Tillis and Pam also..They are always fussing about Alan not singing there a lot.. but Touring really takes it's Toll. Maybe he should relax more & sing there more, I could see him there LOL. Makes you sure miss the Great Fan Club Seats but we got  row 2 a few times.Just lucky ha!

It seems everyone wants to be Country now, I think it's because they can't get into other Genre's and that their last chance, they should stick with pop or Rock..For a while we needed Girls in Country music and now we have too many lol
or those who just want to get into the business...I like Patty Loveless too and remember the Ole days when all the Biggie's were so great to listen to.Loretta and her Conway , he passed when her husband was in the hospital also & later died..I know Loretta loved him as they loved to sing together, it was like a brotherly love..and they just clicked..Oh those were the days. I'm dating myself now ha! Alan remembers some of the Oldies too.I loved Vern Gosdin, they called him"The Voice." many many I enjoyed.. Thye had that certain Country sound that I shall never forget..Like Alan does, in some of his songs. I love for Alan to sing "Love Songs".I heard "Monday Morning Church" the other night, I really liked that  but radio here rarely played it..Alan's voice sounds so great in that one..

I wish this young Lady the Best, who knows what she will decide down the road..She has the voice, and background of training.Anxious to hear more of her work, Thanks  for the Link..Gotta run,
 Take care to all of you, Jerrie

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: