Alan Jackson
May 14, 2024, 03:06:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: autistic son  (Read 10468 times)
firefall

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:59:40 am »

I have a grown autistic son who is so excited about being able to see Alan. He knows every word to every song!!  (...that may be the problem.) He loves to sing along (sometimes loudly and not in tune) and gets so enthused, I am afraid he will distract or annoy other fans. My son is very mild mannered, even shy and really doesn't like being in crowds unless its country music.....then it's the opposite! We try to just let him enjoy himself. My husband and I plan to bring him to the Charleston even but would like some feedback/advice from you, please. Thank you so much.
Vickie
CARNAHANBI

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 11:24:15 am »

Go  and have a great time,,, 

Living on Love     Arkansas
BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:30:19 am »

Firefall, I am also a mother of an autistic grown up child. My family and I has been fans of Alan's since we first heard him singing "Chatahoochee" on the radio and saw his video of it back in '93. My autistic son became a member of Alan's fan club before I did and my husband and I had always taken him to Alan's concert every opportunities we had been to his show. Our problem in the beginning was his making loud grunting/clearing throat sound noises. But, somehow, the crowd's noise level kind of stopped him from doing it at the concerts. It has gotten to the point now where as soon as we're inside the venue he gets pretty quiet and just enjoys himself with the music while bobbing, ritually, his head sideways, if that makes any sense to you, to the rythm of the songs being sang. My point is this. The whole place is going to be loud once Alan hit the stage with everyone singing, out of tune or not, while clapping to the rythm of the songs that chances are your son's loud singing will hardly be noticed at all. As a matter fact, the people who will be siiting around or nearby you will probably get a charge at hearing him singing along and enjoying himself immensely. So, for you and your husband, do both yourself and your son a huge favor and go to Alan's concert, enjoy the show and your son's enjoyment and adoration of Alan and his music AND ignore everyone else around you who may feel or be offended by your son's loud out of tune singing. Just have loads of fun and, of course, tell us all about your experience at the concert. By the way, have you signed up for Meet & Greet and Front Row Seat contest? Just thought I'd ask. Have fun at the concert! Enjoy!

Take care,
BHR

jinx47

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:27:49 pm »

I will be at the Charleston concert and it would be awesome to see your son having a blast
watching Alan!

JINX

LOVING ALAN FROM FLORIDA
Somebody

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 12:49:32 pm »

Firefall, Enjoy the concert ........chances are your son won't
be the only fan out there dancin', singing loud and out of tune !
Hope you all have a good time to remember forever !! Take Care!!
bb2832

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 03:52:26 pm »

God bless all of you...hope you all have a great time.

Brenda in Indy
"Life is a journey, not a destination"
AJTexasfan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 04:22:40 pm »

Go and have a wonderful time!!!!

"But old Tennessee and me couldn't take Texas out of her"
SugarPlumFairy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 07:43:11 pm »

Go and have a wonderful time. I think most country music fans will be smiling watching the joy your son is having watching Alan. Have a fantastic evening.
ajthecatsmom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 01:04:15 am »

Firefall if I were you I would run not walk to get the tickets ASAP and go and have the time of your lives......There are all kinds of people who make up this world and any fan of Alan has got to a terrific person so I say YOU GO GIRL.......and please come back and tell us all about it.........please try for a Meet and Greet.  Your son would be on cloud nine.  It has been a year for me and I still in the clouds.........

Gwen
firefall

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 05:12:43 pm »

You all have been so kind and I thank you so much for your kind words. Sometimes it can get difficult having a grown child with special needs, but he seems happy to be putting up  with us  and we wouldn't have it any other way. He is content with his music (as long as it's country!) and we try to get him to as many concerts as we can. Usually, when we try to get our son to any concert, we try for something in an area where we hope he won't be a distraction, but he adores Alan. when I told him we were going, he went up to his room and came back (I kid you not!) with his cowboy hat on and said "Alan Jackson, November 18th!!!"  I guess he is ready to go!
He has been to an AJ concert before in Fayetteville NC a couple of years ago. Actually week or so after that concert, we saw a small sign advertising the concert near where we lived. Perhaps forgotten by AJ's crew? Anyway, I jumped out and grabbed it and it has been one of my son's treasures ever since.

About the meet and greet, I see that it only allows for one person to get that pass, but my son could not be unattended, so I put my name, but after seeing that it is one per family how does that work with this kind of situation. should I just cancel that?
Anyway, look for us....we will be the older couple with a really good-looking son in a black cowboy hat! God bless!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 05:22:27 pm by firefall » Logged
luvaj10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 06:20:07 pm »

Vickie:
Go and have a wonderful time at the concert!  I am an occupational therapist and also have a son with special needs.  I hope he gets the meet and greet also.  I am hoping, under special circumstances, that you could accompany your son if he wins.  I wish I knew Alan personally so I could get you in there for sure!  My son also loves Alan's music! Would the volume bother your son?  If so, you could always bring headphones.  Has he ever been to a concert before?  He must be so excited!  Let us know how it goes!
ajthecatsmom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 01:03:20 am »

Under the circumstances that he need assistance, they would not refuse that.  Although it would probably be just you OR your hubby.  Not both.  Good Luck!

Gwen
firefall

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 09:12:58 am »

Hello again,
My son acts differently during concerts.......he doesn't mind the noise or the crowd. He seems to thrive at that point in time.  AJ is probably his favorite although he was so excited to meet a girl at Speicial Olympics with the same name as Taylor Swift.  He has a choice of any kind of music to listen to and he chooses country....always!!!  If I don't know who is singing a particular song, I ask him and he always knows. Because his speech is difficult to understand at times, I can get him to spell it out for me.
This is not exactly how we pictured our retirement years but life has given many blessings. Sometimes you do not get what you want but what you need!
 God bless,
Vickie
JeanB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 09:22:48 am »

Go to the concert Vickie and have the time of your life !

Jean

Belgian#1 Fan
Luckylady44

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 07:43:01 am »

Vickie,
I'm planning on being at the Charleston concert also.  Hope to see you and your family there and that you do get a M&G!

Loving That Alan Jackson in South Carolina!
Cause life's a dance don't ya know
That's it, there you go

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: