Alan Jackson
May 18, 2024, 12:22:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Zac Brown Band  (Read 5852 times)
HariAJFan

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2010, 01:00:39 pm »

From CMT News:

Zac Brown Band Leaves No Stone Unturned During Chicago Concert
Grammy Winners Mix Hits and Instrumental Jams During Show on Lake Michigan
August 20, 2010; Written by Alison Bonaguro

Zac Brown BandCHICAGO -- Zac Brown said he was going to take the 8,000 Chicago fans on a musical journey Thursday night (Aug. 19). And he did, although it wasn't a route typically taken during a country concert.

The Grammy-winning Zac Brown Band has so much pure, raw musical talent, and they proved that throughout their two and a-half hour show at Chicago's Northerly Island on Lake Michigan. While the sold-out and mostly standing-room-only crowd craved the band's infectious hits, rowdy drinking anthem and carefree boating tunes, the band also emphasized extended instrumental jams.

Brown can flatpick any and every guitar as if his life depended on it. And guys like Jimmy De Martini bowed and plucked the hell out of his fiddle, John Hopkins played his bass guitar with fury and Clay Cook took the mandolin to places mandolins don't usually go.

Opening with "Whiskey's Gone," the band raced through that rowdy arrangement, telling the crowd, "We have no choice but to whip this show with a belt." The fiddle played such a dominant role in the song, it felt like De Martini was channeling Charlie Daniels even if they weren't playing "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" yet. When it came time for "Where the Boat Leaves From," a fitting song with Lake Michigan sitting quietly about 200 feet from the edge of the stage, Brown managed to slide a few verses of Bob Marley's "One Love" into the middle of that tune.

"I hope that tonight that whatever BS you had to deal with all week, you can let it go," Brown asked of the fans before letting Hopkins sing his signature, deep, rapid-fire delivery of the band's "It's Not OK" hoedown. Then Brown brought out some of the new stuff from the band's upcoming album, You Get What You Give, including "As She's Walking Away," a track they recorded with Alan Jackson. It's a powerful harmony tune with more vocals than instruments and lyrics about how "my heart won't tell my mind to tell my mouth what it should say."

Then Brown introduced another new one, "Knee Deep," which they recorded with Jimmy Buffett. If Brown was not there singing it, you'd think it actually was a Buffett song. But later on in the night, Brown did another new one he called "my favorite song we've ever written." The selection, "Colder Weather," is a solid country ballad about being born for leaving and having a gypsy soul to blame. Brown didn't say why it was his favorite, but the fans seemed to echo his sentiment even though most were hearing it for the first time.

Other than remarks to promote the new CD or his Letters for Lyrics postcard program, Brown didn't take time to talk much during the show until he was ready to tell the story behind new song "I Play the Road." He explained that the band had stopped at a restaurant on their way to a show when the waitress asked, "Are you in a band?" They told her yes, and she asked what instruments they all played. When it was bus driver Big George's turn, she said "What do you play?" And he said, "I play the road." Thus inspiring the song. There have been some mildly successful country singles about road life over the years, but this one may beat them all.

"The highway is our song/The city's like the same three chords that help bring us along," they sang. The song ends with a bittersweet question from one of the singer's three little girls: "Daddy, where do you go with your suitcase and your guitar? Daddy, where do you go?"

The way the stage was set up -- propped with a moonshine still, mason jars and vintage-style saloon stages for the drum set and keyboards -- anyone would quickly classify the band as a country one. But the Southern rock edge to their songs makes them feel like no other country band on the radio right now. Maybe it's that fusion that earned them

fins91

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 03:49:25 pm »

I was at this show in the front row!  It was an incredible show and zbb did play, As She's Walking Away.  Sure would have been nice to see them both up there performing it!  Target Stores have a Zac Brown Band 2-song cd out today for $1.99. It includes As She's Walking Away with Alan and ZBB's Colder Weather.  There is a $2 coupon to use toward the upcoming zbb album to be released on 9/21/2010. 
lsmeltzer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 08:09:36 am »

fins91 thanks for the info about the 2 pack.  Might have to check that one out.  Leslie
bb2832

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 06:53:36 pm »

Yes, thanks for the information on the concert and the 2 pack.  I normally don't buy any CD's excepts Alan's so that will be perfect for me.

Brenda in Indy

Brenda in Indy
"Life is a journey, not a destination"
fins91

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 07:23:19 am »

Your welcome! I love As She's Walking Away, I think I've worn out the cd already! The 2nd song on the cd, Colder Weather, is an awesome new song from zbb also.  Counting down the days til Alan arrives in Rockford on Sept. 24 Smiley
cntrybunkn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 11:31:56 am »

Hi ya Fins...gee that forum name looks awfully familiar! Glad to see you got this information on here.  BTW, I bought all that my local Target had to supply ZBB Zamily members with that could not get to a Target.

This song is awesome, I am also wearing out the CD and I just got it last night.  Really glad that AJ fans have accepted ZBB like they have, this is truly a great band and the collaboration between Zac and Alans voices is sure to gain a duet award down the road.

My ultimate concert.  Alan Jackson and ZBB on the same stage with me in the front row like I was 8/13 in Jersey for ZBB.

~Bunkn~
bb2832

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 12:53:21 pm »

I'm going to get my ZBB+Alan 2 song CD today! Thanks again.

Brenda in Indy

Brenda in Indy
"Life is a journey, not a destination"
fins91

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 06:50:16 pm »

Hello cntrybunkn!  That's funny that you noticed me on both boards! I honestly read the boards more than I have posted over the years.  That was a good idea to pick up all the cd's that Target had! I wasn't even thinking, just grabbed it and had it open before I reached the car so I could pop it in and listen to the new song!  I can't get enough of it ~ it is soo Awesome! 

I was just blown away at the zbb concert!  We had so much fun! They are all so talented and lovin' the energy! I didn't get the E&G's though. By the time the system allowed me to see the page to order them, they were sold out.  So that's my next mission, getting to an E & G the next time we are lucky enough to see them in concert!  Take Care!
cntrybunkn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 07:11:52 pm »

Fins, an Eat & Greet is a "MUST DO".  This month was my 2nd and it was just as great as the 1st one a year ago. I picked up Jersey tomatoes and gave them to Chef Rusty.  He loved that.  The food is awesome and sitting and chatting with the band....well, its beyond amazing.  Zac was talking near where we were sitting and put his hand in his pocket, took out a guitar pick and laid it on the table in front of my daughter.  Plus we sat right across the table from Tim McGraw's brother Marc.  He works for CMT ( and of course was a local Philadelphia boy growing up).  Just being among the band in that atmosphere and how relaxed it is, nothing compares.  I have had Meet & Greets a plenty, but nothing and I mean nothing beats breaking bread with the band.

Would love to see more bands do this type of meetings with their fans.  I did mention that to Marc McGraw with the hopes he would go back to his work and pass that around to other artists when he interviews them in the future. (havent had my AJ meeting yet, maybe next tour in my area)

You should join in more in the Zamily, you see how much fun we have interacting with each other.  And as you can read also alot of us have met in person.
See ya in the Zamily and in here!!! Bunkn Hugs to Ya!!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: