Alan Jackson
May 14, 2024, 08:07:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thank You Lord!  (Read 9134 times)
miamired

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2010, 02:27:29 pm »

I got down on my knees to say a very special thank you to the Lord today.  I have been very worried for the last 10 days and have not been on AJFC site as a result.  I really should have shared my fear's though.

I had a routine mammogram done recently and it showed an area that was irregular.  Today I had a bilatral ultrasound done and a more intensive "spot compression" to the area in question.  Amen, and Whewwww, I'm okay.

There were several reasons that I was very concerned.  My mother died at age 48 from breast cancer.  The area in question for me was in the same area that my mother was affected, the upper, outer quadrant, between the breast and the armpit.
When this area is affected it is common for more radical treatment as lymph nodes are located in the armpit and this can make it easier for cancer to spread.

My final reason for concern is that I was several years over due with my exam.  I had foot surgery about 16 months ago and  had foot pain for several years until I was properly diagnosed.  Having something wrong with one area of your body can take over other areas of your life. The focus tends to be in dealing with the problem at hand and it's very easy to let other check-up's fall behind. 

I wanted to write this to serve as a reminder to all to maintain those check-up's.  Women are esp. prone to putting other's first and often risking their own health as a result.  Many are additionally faced with the role of assisting a loved one who is ill.  Please do not put your own health at risk while caring for another.  I have been reminded of how many dieases are completly curable when caught in the early stages.  Next week, my first colonoscopy.  I don't want to have it done!  However, I want the peace of mind more than fear the unpleasantness of the exam.

HariAJFan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 04:30:01 pm »

Thank you, miamired, for sharing your story. I am glad you are Ok- what a relief for you.

I have my Mammogram every year.

Melanie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 04:32:27 pm »

Ms.  miamired,

Those kind(s) of appt.(s) are so easy to put off, you are right about that!!

I'm so glad that concern(s) are behind you.

livin' down home...BUT STILL LOVE THE CRIMSON TIDE                     
 "I LOVE MY BLOODHOUND"
                          ~Roll Tide~
miamired

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 06:06:54 pm »

Thank you for the responses.  I would like to ask this great fan club if we could each remind someone that we care about to get all routine exams done in a timely manner.  If someone you know admits to having a test due or is over due, please take a short amount of time to follow up with a friendly inquiry as to the progress of the appointment.  You could be saving the life of someone.  Please offer to go with a person who is hesitant or fearful.

Life being life, and the tendencies that women have to put others first enables the exams to be delayed of forgotten about entirely.  Guys, I don't mean to leave you out.  I do realize that you need to have your exams as well.

I think that we will each be able to hold our heads a little higher if we can accomplish helping just one person with this matter.  Thank You.

BTW, I spoke to several at work regarding "exams" and the majority are past due.  I was shocked!
BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 09:50:44 pm »

Miamired,

I'm one of those people who has forgone those health exams for fear and having the belief that the more I have those important health exams the more I'm likely to end up the with disease(s) I'm trying to avoid to have due partly to the stress on having them done and the not knowing what the result(s) will be for days and in a way I still believe that. It was actually my husband that encouraged (pushed?) me to have annual check-ups. If it was just me, I would not have done it or continue doing it. This is especially true when it seems like each time I had it done I learn something new to worry about that it scares me anymore to go through with them whenever it's time to have them done again. My husband asked me one time, "Aren't you glad you found out about it and you're now being medicated for it (hypothyroidism - underactive thyroid)?" My retort was that if I had not gone for my annual check-up I would not have had the disease. It sounds kind of funny but I really did feel at that time that my going through with the annual health exam and having all that lab tests done and worrying about the result(s) factored in on it. I also had been diagnosed with high blood pressure and is taking medication for it too.

Now I have more reasons not to miss any of my regular health exams, along with my husband: our 2 children, family medical history of high blood pressure/stroke (my father [94] and niece [47] both had high blood pressure and died of complications from massive stroke and I have a sister who have high blood pressure and has had stroke twice),  colon cancer (my oldest sister died of colon cancer at age 56), persistent recurrence of cyst in breast (my mother had them but they're non-cancerous growths; eventually her breast was removed due to excessive tissue scarring), lung cancer (same sister with high blood pressure had cancerous cyst removed from her lungs last year; she's cancer free now), cataract (my father had it) and of course, hypothyroidsm (another sister have it).

Your reminder of the importance of having annual complete health exams is very much with merit. I have had cancer scares and I thank God everyday I'm still healthy as far as that goes. Back in the early '80s, doctor found a pre-cancerous growth on my cervics and it was immediately taken cared of. Then five years ago, a cyst was found in my ovary. It was persistent and although it was not making any changes at all I played it safe and had both my ovaries removed last year. About the same year my ovarian cyst was discovered, my mammogram also showed that I have what looks like tiny cyst in both my breast (I emphatize with you on this). I went through every 6 months mammograms for the next 3 years and was put back to once a year schedule when no changes was seen. When I had my mammogram exam last year, I had a normal result. I couldn't believe it! That was before we moved here in GA. Soon as we had found a doctor I told him about it and he suggested that I have another mammogram done just to make sure. I had it done just 5 months after the previous one. Again, it was normal. My husband and I wondered if I really had the cysts in the first place. . .and I worried about them all those years.

Having health exams regularly is part of my life's health routine now along with working out and eating healthy diet. And it's even more so important now with the health issues my husband is currently facing, which includes his recent surgery (pre-diabetes condition and low liver function). Thanks for this important reminder, Miamired, and sorry for the lengthy respond. . .bad habit. :-) Good luck on your colonoscopy. The exam itself is the easy part. The prep for it is the worst. Just stock up on hard candies (lemon drops is the doctors' recommendation). Believe me, it will help. Prayers for good result sent your way.

BHR
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:48:58 pm by BIGHUSKERSRED » Logged

Luckylady44

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 06:20:40 am »

Miamired:  First of all, I'm so glad your mammogram was ok.  Now about the colonoscopy....It isn't so bad, I've had several.  The worse part is preparing for it.  Hopefully, your surgeon will put you to sleep for the procedure.  You are doing the right thing in having this exam.  There are some medical issues in my family that have made it necessary for me to have them at least every 3 years, now I'm down to one every 5 years.

You are right, the peace of mind of taking care of your body is worth the discomfort of having the test.

For the rest of you, if you are over 40 and have not had a colonoscopy, please ask your doctor about scheduling you for one!  It is very important.

Loving That Alan Jackson in South Carolina!
Cause life's a dance don't ya know
That's it, there you go

lsmeltzer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 07:34:30 am »

Hey, those colonoscopies aren't so bad.  As for the prep, just know that you will be home and in or around the bathroom for the day, not really that bad.  Not painfull at all, just need to drink all the fluids that you can.  Best of luck and thanks for the reminders for the checkups.  Have mine scheduled for next month, never miss them.  Leslie
miamired

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:27:13 am »

I am so happy to learn that so far, those replying do get regulat check-ups.  I was alarmed at the app. 80% of many  that I work with not getting them at all or were further behind than I was.

Ismeltzer- I (thankfully) will be sedated for the procedure.  I hear that sedation has been the trend for the last 10 years or so.  Apparently, it took this long for the Dr's to figure out that their exam could be more comprehensive this way,LOL! It never did make sense that prior to sedation you were told, "Now, just relax."

My GI doc informed me that he personally found not being able to eat the day before the procedure and not until the following day after procedure the most difficult.  It will likely be that way for me as well.  I can go all dy with out eating when I am busy,(I know, bad habit) but when I'm ready to eat, usually feel light headed and must eat.

I can just picture me the day of the procedure.......grabbing my doc's white coat and stating, OKAY, GIMME SOME FOOD AND NOBODY GETS HURT!<<<Please insert my playful sassiness here, lol

BTW, traditionally a product called "Go Lytley" was used as the powder that you added water to and were required to drink  almost a gallon of.  There is a product out now called "Half Lytley" that only requirs half that amount to be consumed.   Please consider asking the Dr. for this if he or she still prescribes the old amount.
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 12:50:16 pm »

I got down on my knees to say a very special thank you to the Lord today.  I have been very worried for the last 10 days and have not been on AJFC site as a result.  I really should have shared my fear's though.

II wanted to write this to serve as a reminder to all to maintain those check-up's.  Women are esp. prone to putting other's first and often risking their own health as a result.  Many are additionally faced with the role of assisting a loved one who is ill.  Please do not put your own health at risk while caring for another.  I have been reminded of how many dieases are completly curable when caught in the early stages.  Next week, my first colonoscopy.  I don't want to have it done!  However, I want the peace of mind more than fear the unpleasantness of the exam.

miamired,

Thank God your test was fine and good luck w/the rest.I know what you mean about one forgetting to take care of things important, when they are busy care taking for others. I am so glad yours came out fine!

I think your post  might have been a good alert for me to have  a colon test, mine is overdue and like you , it's far more Important to know the results, than dread not knowing and waste energy. My husband is to have one soon also. It really isn't bad at all, they put me to sleep with a pill first, then in my IV in viens because you are only out  a while.I ask for a pill first to relax & I never know when I go to sleep. Perhaps you can do the same.

Thanks for the alert, we often wait, with so many things coming up in our lives. My sis just went early & she has breast cancer but she got it early and for her six month check , she was fine!!She will have  regular checks for sure.
Most people or perhaps all people, have cancer cells in their body but some go haywire or grow..
I wish you luck on the test tomorrow , just remember  it's over before you know it.. maybe someone could drive for you
that day . Take care and I'm glad you are having it done frankly. the early diagnosis is the best way..
Take care and I'll be thinking of you..HUgs, Jerrie  ( You would not believe the tests my poor husband has had recently.I have reglected mine too.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 02:37:23 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
katluvsaj

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 07:21:58 pm »

miamired, so glad your test results came back ok.  It is so important to get the regularly scheduled exams.  I have a mammogram every year and just had my first colonoscopy two years ago - nothing to it.  And the relief knowing that everything is alright is priceless!

Kathy

Alan Jackson's songs touch our minds, our hearts, our souls.
TAMTOE

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 11:01:39 pm »

I WILL SAY A BIG THANK YOU LORD TOO FOR YOUR TEST RESULTS. AND I WILL PRAY THAT THE OTHER HAS GOOD RESULTS TOO. I ALSO WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR THE REMINDER. I HAVE TAKEN CARE OF SOMEONE FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS..WEATHER IT WAS MY MOM WHO HAS PASSED AWAY,MY 99 YEAR OLD GRANDMOTHER,I HAVE A SISTER IN A WHEEL CHAIR AND NOW OF COURSE MY DAD WHO DOESN'T HAVE LONG ( ACCORDING TO DOCTORS ) TILL HE GOES AND JOINS MY BELOVED MOTHER. I AM TOTALLY ASHAMED TO ADMIT THAT AT 46 I HAVE NEVER HAD A MAMMOGRAM AND HAVEN'T HAD A YEARLY CHECK-UP SINCE MY HYSTERECTOMY ABOUT 5 YEARS AGO...
SO THANK YOU AND TO ALL YOU LADIES I WILL CALL MY DOCTOR MONDAY AND MAKE THE APPOINTMENTS THAT I NEED SO BAD.
AND OF COURSE WE HAVE TO THINK ABOUT ALAN..WHAT IN THE WORLD WOULD HE DO WITHOUT ALL US CRAZY FANS...GOTTA HANG AROUND...HE NEEDS US ( LOL )

LOVE AND HUGS TO YOU ALL AND THANKS AGAIN TO MY ONLINE FAMILY
TAMMY

TAMMY
GONE CRAZY IN CANTON GA.
nelle

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 10:51:38 am »

miamired  Thank GOD your test came back okay. I will be praying for you on the next test.  Thank you for all the help you have given here.    Take Care and HUGS    nelle

Faith, Hope and Love are some good things HE gave us and the greatest is Love.      WWY 
miamired

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 07:43:40 pm »

Thank you again to all that have replied.  I felt somewhat compelled to open up this topic.  I mean to say that when I thanked the Lord in appreciation, I meant it and actually FELT humble and gracious. I recalled one of my favorite quotes from JFK.

"As we express ou gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them"

I have been reminded that not only do we need to take better care of ourselves but take better care of one another when there is no obvious need other than to express sincere concern over another's well being.  You never know, a simple gesture could save someone's life!

To Jeri and Tamtoe:  I hope that I'm not being too intrusive, but would like to request that you inform us of those appt's being made and kept.  I don't doubt you.  I just want you to know that there are many of us that care for your well being and provide that loving nudge to you.  By all means, consider this a open invitation for anone that is willing to advise of appt's and Dr's visit.

I am pleased to say that what was recently fearful has become liberating.  I will keep up with the check-ups now.It's not worth the anxiety of delaying and potentially eliminating the rescue of early detection. I don't feel like a stranger here any longer.  Don't hesitate to call me Carolyn, if you would like to.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: