Alan Jackson
May 18, 2024, 12:30:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jimmy Buffett Concert on CMT  (Read 8937 times)
katluvsaj

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2010, 07:18:04 pm »

Be sure to watch if you can - there's a chance 'you know who' may show up!!   Wish I was there![/color]

Buffett concert provides hope for coast
Updated: Friday, 09 Jul 2010, 9:24 AM CDT
Published : Thursday, 08 Jul 2010, 10:33 PM CDT

Cary Chow
Photojournalist: Riccardo Montgomery
GULF SHORES, Alabama (WALA) - The stage is set in Gulf Shores. Not just for Jimmy Buffett and his musically-gifted friends, but for business to return to the Gulf Coast.

"You bring 35,000 people to town for a concert that weren't there before. It's a big day for us. It also provides the local community with something to look forward to," said Gulf Shores Mayor Robert Craft.

Getting people to look forward to coming to the beach has been a challenge, according to Kathleen Williams. The general manager of Spectrum Resorts, the official lodging partner of the concert production company, said the BP oil spill has forced hotels and condos to offer huge discounts.

"During the peak summer, no one in this business offers discounts, because you don't need to. But everyone's doing it, and we're offering a 'Black Gold on the Coast Swimming and Free Night' special," said Williams.

Both Orange Beach Mayor Tony Kennon and Gulf Shores Mayor Robert Craft said occupancy rates along the Gulf Coast have been down significantly, and hopefully the Jimmy Buffett concert will provide an economic shot in the arm.

"Fourth of July was off by 35 percent or more," said Kennon. "The weeks before and after were 50 to 60 percent off and for us, the week behind and after the Fourth of July is two of the biggest weeks of the year."

"When this thing got pushed back a week, we're probably going to end up better economically," said Craft. "The Fourth of July weekend stood on its own. We did okay even without the concert. Now we've added this, it's going to be a boost to the economy."

While the pre-concert tickets are already gone, some are still available through resort packages.

"We're pushing up to 60 percent occupied and it's Thursday and the trend right now is people booking at the last minute, so we did another e-mail blast and hope that that's gonna push us towards where we need to be," said Williams.

Hopefully Jimmy Buffett can help get them there.

Gates open for the concert at 3:00 p.m. Sunday. The opening act is Roddie Romero and The Hub City All Stars at 4:45 p.m.

The concert's lineup has not been finalized. The concert's postponement due to Hurricane Alex will keep out Kenny Chesney and the Zac Brown Band, but rumor has it country music star Alan Jackson may be filling in.

Kathy

Alan Jackson's songs touch our minds, our hearts, our souls.
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:50:32 pm »

Kathy,

Wish we could go also, but my teens will be visiting w/us..I know this will raise money for this area of the Gulf with Buffet, I hope Alan is there. They said on a website that former  Basketball Player Ray Johnston ( who has Leukemia) but has a Band now and is Opening for the Concert. You should read about his Life and his Battles with this Disease. Love his Sound and Band. His story of his Dream of playing basketball is so touching..

You can catch it on streaming on CMT live or xm radio est 7 PM July 11  . I hope Alan is appearing, he will surly draw the crowd to make up for lost business money, of Gulf Shores.

Be sure and listen to this Buffet Concert.. Thanks Kathy for posting this.

Jeri-FL
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:31:11 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
katluvsaj

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 02:27:24 pm »

Looks like it's going to happen - and B&D!

0710-Alan Jackson, Brooks and Dunn to Appear with Buffett at Gulf Shores ConcertPosted by Mobile Tribune on July 10, 2010 at 11:30am
View Mobile Tribune's blog
.Alan Jackson and Brooks and Dunn should be appearing with Jimmy Buffett at the free concert he is giving tomorrow at Gulf Shores, Alabama. There are rumors another big act will also make an appearance at the event designed to show the world the Gulf oil spill can't stop the Redneck Riveria from being happy and enjoying the beach. 35,000 tickets were given away and claimed in about six minutes last month.

Kathy

AJTexasfan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 04:24:59 pm »

Thanks for the update, Kathy.  Got it set on the DVR!

"But old Tennessee and me couldn't take Texas out of her"
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 04:35:29 pm »

Thanks Kathy!
I wish we had known the time and day for sure, we might have tried to go. we go by AL on the way to MS.  would have loved it!
I would have loved to see Alan & Brooks & Dunn w/Buffet.  this famous Basketball player says on his website he is scheduled to open there.. They need all the money they can get, looks like they would want to advertise more unless there is not enough parking, not sure. They had shuttles from hotels to there.
Kathy let me know if you heard it.. It also said it was streaming from CMT too, on the net.
 Thanks! Jerrie-FL
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:38:29 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

January

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 04:39:47 pm »

Hooray!! I could not imagine that he wouldn't be there - hope Trace shows up as well - even Toby - - will George be there too?  wish I was going to this party but it is all set to TIVO - then I can burn it to a dvd and watch it over and over!

≈*♥*≈January≈*♥*≈
"Be kinder than necessary for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"
nelle

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 09:51:27 pm »

Kathy thank you so much for this info.   Take Care     nelle

Faith, Hope and Love are some good things HE gave us and the greatest is Love.      WWY 
BETTY

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 11:25:00 pm »

I would have went but didn't know he was going to be there .Thanks for the update.
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 12:33:54 pm »

Jimmy Buffett and Friends on CMT Time 7est/6C On the Gulf Shores, AL

I guess it will be on for sure, my husband just caught it. Didn't say who the Guest were, just friends of Jimmy.
Hope it's Alan & Brooks and Dunn, but Ronnie is supposed to be resting his Voice for upcoming  Dates. He did good in Jax.
....There are hotels near this Concert to shuttle people to area. More people would have been there to support them had they advertised it more, looks like.maybe too many ha!
They still have tickets supposedly but we have waited not knowing for sure and no time to go now.

Be sure and catch this-On CMT, Jerrie FL

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:53:32 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

katluvsaj

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 01:03:54 pm »

All tickets were gone within 20 minutes of this show being announced.  They were all free and were snapped up so fast.   Kenny Chesney & The Zac Brown Band were originally supposed to be the guests, but because they had to change the date (due to weather), they were unable to make it.    It'll be a good time no matter who shows up, but it will be fantastic if it includes Alan!!!

Kathy

alotaboutlivin

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 07:18:05 pm »

Watching Jimmy Buffett now. Great concert and looks like a huge audience!
katluvsaj

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 07:53:05 pm »

Really enjoyed the concert!    Kinda makes up for not seeing Jimmy live the last couple of years.   Disappointed that Alan wasn't there, I don't know how this information gets out there - they made it sound like it was a fact.     

Kathy

Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 08:58:02 pm »

Really enjoyed the concert!    Kinda makes up for not seeing Jimmy live the last couple of years.   Disappointed that Alan wasn't there, I don't know how this information gets out there - they made it sound like it was a fact.      

Kathy , I enjoyed Jimmy Buffett after not seeing him for a while.. Amazing crowd.. He thanked Alan because his"Five Oclock Somewhere " was Jimmy's first Award..I enjoyed Jessie Winchester (Sp?) "Mississippi Your'e On My Mind." also Mac MacAnally  was a hit also..a great crowd!!! I especially enjoyed Jimmy Buffett singing" When The Coast Is Clear" it was touching for me and Jimmy looked like he teared up ..Jimmy Buffett's  hit "Come Monday" I like too! I have his CD that Alan is on.."License To Chill" Jimmy is planning to build a Margaritaville Cafe in Nashville, but this was before the flood.I suppose he will still do it.He has others & one in Orlando, FL. Great Concert and Crowd Jimmy Buffett for Gulf Shores , AL!!! Thanks, Jerrie-FL & MS I'm proud for Jimmy Buffett, being a fan for so long &  he is from Pascagoula, MS too! Yea! MS!!!
PS ! Enjoyed seeing Allen​ Toussaint​ performing also!!!!  You can still see the video of the performance on CMT- Under "Home" What a Huge Crowd and boats too..Hotels had people our on  the Veranda's ha! Good Job Jimmy & Thanks!

Carrie likes Alan very much, he was her first Concert when Young.. Just maybe he was at her wedding , who knows..GA!
we will never know & really it's none of our business. .
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 07:58:36 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: