Alan Jackson
May 18, 2024, 12:36:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Sizable Gift  (Read 9010 times)
katluvsaj

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2010, 06:09:29 pm »

Nice, very nice!!

A Sizable Gift
Staff
Charleston

Proceeds from the Alan Jackson Concert in Charleston last weekend totaled $154,360.30.  Charleston Civic Center General Manager John Robertson on Friday presented a check in that amount to Rev. Dennis Sparks, head of the West Virginia Council of Churches to add to the Montcoal Disaster Fund.

The country music superstar announced soon after the Upper Big Branch Mine Disaster that all profits from his long scheduled appearance in Charleston would benefit the fund.

"I've been engaged in this occupation for 30 years," said Robertson during a press conference on Friday. "Never before have I witnesses such sincere and generous expression from an entertainer."

The concert attracted 7,200 people on Saturday, May 22.   The event also included a personal meeting between Jackson and the families of the victims.   During the concert, Jackson included a special tribute to the lost miners.  All of the victims' pictures was shown in a moving big-screen video followed by Jackson's performance of his hit song ,"Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning."

"Publicity was not a motive in doing this by Alan Jackson and his folks,"  Robertson said. "It was because of his empathy for working people and the tragedy and circumstances surrounding it touched his heart."

"He's a real person,"  said Reverend Sparks.  "He's a real person for the people of the nation and of West Virginia.   You feel like he's one of us because he just has a genuine sense about himself."

Sparks said the contribution from the concert brings the Montcoal Disaster Fund up to around $700,000.   The fund remains open and Sparks anticipates more sizable donations will be made before all of the money is divided equally 31 ways and given to the victims or the surviving members of the families. 

"Each family gets an equal share, 100-percent of the fund goes to the families,"  Sparks said. "Some people say, 'Well now these families are going to be well off.'  Some might be, but that's for the future to decide, right now they still have expenses and we want to do anything we can to help them."

Kathy

Alan Jackson's songs touch our minds, our hearts, our souls.
AJTexasfan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 06:32:30 pm »

That is VERY NICE - thanks for sharing Kathy!!

"But old Tennessee and me couldn't take Texas out of her"
Somebody

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:47:34 pm »

God Bless Everyone Involved ! This was a beautiful and right thing to do!
As a fan I am very proud! Thanks Kathy!
nelle

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 07:13:10 pm »

What a wonderful thing to do from a wonderful man. ALAN is the best.    Take Care     nelle

Faith, Hope and Love are some good things HE gave us and the greatest is Love.      WWY 
Luckylady44

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 08:45:25 am »

Thanks for sharing Kathy.  Just makes me realize why I like Alan Jackson so much.  An authentic man

Loving That Alan Jackson in South Carolina!
Cause life's a dance don't ya know
That's it, there you go

mar4aej

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 09:36:40 am »

Thanks, Kathy, for sharing this here.

It does my heart good to see this happen and yes, we know
Alan is extra generous...and so many times we don't/won't
know about How generous he is in his giving to others.
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 09:46:29 am »

Yes, I commend Alan for being so generous, but note that usually Alan doesn't tell any amounts. He gives to other
charities, that is never mentioned , I'm sure.

Just his caring, meant a lot to those people I'm sure.

I hope this helps the families, so sorry for all the loss of lives and loved ones left behind.

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
mar4aej

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 10:01:15 am »

there's a bible verse about not tooting one's own horn about charitable
works...and I think that is party why Alan does not generally make the
gifts specific.  I like to think so...  Wink
jamercer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 02:03:32 am »

Thanks for sharing!  Smiley
Kanaloa

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 05:58:40 pm »

Bless you Alan and all for their generosity for the families of the mine disaster.  There are so many years and expenses ahead and this will help some.   Thank you Kathy, for the article and agree that Alan never wants others to know all of the good he does.   This shows his honest and quiet sincereity.    Proud to be an Alan Jackson fan.

wabbit101

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 04:41:50 pm »

Very nice.
Thanks for the article.
BETTY

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 07:26:40 pm »

Thanks for sharing.That is AWESOME.
HariAJFan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 08:21:18 pm »

Thank you, Kathy, for that wonderful article.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: