Alan Jackson
May 18, 2024, 09:12:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Fan's Review of "Freight Train"  (Read 5831 times)
Somebody

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2010, 07:35:45 am »

This is from a fan named Eddie . I think he did an excellent job of summing it all up.
It is definately worth the time it takes to read it and Eddie, I appreciate you
taking the time to write it.
Thank you Eddie for letting me post this !

1) Hard Hat And A Hammer: From the opening fiddle you just know this is a country song. It's an uptempo tribute to the working man ......and woman. I like the way the steel guitar has that wavering sound midway through the song. I have heard this song might be the next single released. This is a good solid country song.

"All week long making a living. Life keeps taking, he keeps giving."

2) Every Now And Then: An exquisitely beautiful song about lost love. No one does these type songs better than AJ. He has that emotion in his voice that makes you feel the pain. This song has great piano playing and some really nice mandolin. The slight waver in Alan's voice towards the end really hits home.

"I still love you, every now and then."

3) After 17: Alan's song about his oldest daughter. Great lyrics that all parents can relate to. I really like mid song how the fiddle, steel guitar and electric guitar trade off with each other. And it's nice how the steel drops down at the end of the song almost like your heart sinks at a sad time. With the popularity of Taylor Swift and several other young female singers I think this song could be a good choice as a single.

"Her right hand closed the front porch door and suddenly a child no more."

4)It's Just That Way: I did a review of this song earlier and felt that it sounded like a George Strait type song. I still feel that way and this song is growing on me. I'll catch myself at work humming it! It features some nice piano on it.

"That old sun comes up every morning and goes down at the end of every day. It's just that way."

5) Freight Train: AJ gets the blood flowin' on this bluegrass tune. It features some innovative lyrics with outstanding pickin'. The electric guitar reminds me of Mark Knopfler's playing.

"I just came down from Chippewa had a station wagon and a hundred dollars..."

6) Taillights Blue: A song co-wrote by Alan's nephew Adam Wright. A nice little song with some really good electric guitar and fiddle. And of course the singin' ain't half bad either!

"They should have made 'I can't stay' sound like 'I love you'.

7) I Could Get Used To This Lovin' Thing: Whooa Daddy! This one sounds like Buck Owens meets Dwight Yoakum meets Johnny Cash! It has that echo thing on the vocals that both Buck and Dwight have used along with that giddyup guitar sound of Johnny's song "Ring of Fire". And I love it! A classic!

"I never once said I love you until I felt the one that's true."

8)Till The End: An awesome rendition of Vern Gosdin's song with Alan and Lee Ann Womack as a duet. AJ and Lee Ann always sound so good when they sing together and this one is no exception. It features some old timey steel guitar that is classic country!

"The pain may lessen more as time goes by but as for me your memories will never fade."

9)That's Where I Belong: This one is a head out to open water on your boat and kick back song. A real uptempo melody that rocks with some solid guitar. Another winner. Anyone noticing a trend here?

"I can taste the rum and Coke and I can smell that salty air."

10) Big Green Eyes: This song reminds me of a 70's type country song. It features some great electric guitar. Can't decide who might have sung something like this. Waylon Jennings maybe? No matter, it's a winner.

"I don't deserve a love this fine, my baby and her big green eyes."

11) True Love Is A Golden Ring: As soon as I heard this song I thought of Conway and Loretta. It just has that sound and feel about it. I'd love to see AJ and Loretta sing this together on the Opry stage. I wonder how Miss Loretta is doing these days? I love this song!

"True love is a golden ring like the vows we made it's a precious thing."

12) The Best Keeps Getting Better: This song is my favorite on the album. No doubt what couple this song is about. The nice thing is that anyone who's been married for any length of time can really relate to what this song speaks of. AJ's voice combined with the mandolin and steel guitar are beautiful. A classic country song!

"Like a 30 year old wine, hearts intertwined, the best keeps getting better all the time."

That's it folks! Once again Alan has released a CD of great music and lyrics. I'm so grateful that he continues to uphold the traditional sounds of Country music while remaining relevant in these modern times. And we fans look forward to many more years of great songs. Thanks AJ!
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 09:19:58 am »

Beth,

Thanks for posting this review from Eddie. It is a great review, describing the sounds of the instruments and feelings about a particular Song. I enjoyed reading all the comments about the interpretation of the Songs/the words and instruments used. Very good review, I agree with this summary and and it was explained perfectly about the meaning of the Songs and instruments used. Alan is still keeping it country..
* I especially liked his remark at the end, so true, it was : "Once again Alan has released a CD of great music and lyrics. I'm so grateful that he continues to uphold the traditional sounds of Country music while remaining relevant in these modern times. And we fans look forward to many more years of great songs. Thanks AJ!"

Just a Great Review, he obviously knows music and instruments used..

Thanks Beth, for posting this for Eddie,

Loved the line "5) Freight Train: AJ gets the blood flowin' on this bluegrass tune. It features some innovative lyrics with outstanding pickin'. The electric guitar reminds me of Mark Knopfler's playing."

I remember his Guitar playing from Dire Straits ,
 I agree.. Thanks Jeri-FL

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:29:34 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
AJTexasfan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 02:05:04 pm »

Thanks for posting this review.  I really enjoyed reading about the sounds and the words and how they make you feel!!

"But old Tennessee and me couldn't take Texas out of her"
Somebody

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 05:58:33 pm »

Thanks Jeri and AJTexasFan. Eddie just puts it all together so perfect.
I love his style and how he always adds a line from each song. I was
truly impressed ! Take Care Everyone!
JeanB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 02:12:10 pm »

Thanks for posting Beth.

Jean

Belgian#1 Fan
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 09:43:17 pm »

BUMP THIS BACK UP...A GREAT REVIEW!

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
bb2832

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 06:31:03 pm »

What an awesome review. Such details about each song. Gotta love it...and Alan, of course.

Brenda in Indy

Brenda in Indy
"Life is a journey, not a destination"
lsmeltzer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 07:27:48 am »

Eddy really hit the nail on the head with this review.  Leslie
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: