Alan Jackson
May 17, 2024, 10:42:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't close your eyes  (Read 11515 times)
hounddogfan

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2010, 08:41:47 pm »

Last night at midnight I heard "Don't close your eyes" sung by Alan Jackson on the radio.Is this old or on the new album. It was another beautiful LOVE song.
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:56:35 pm »

If I remember right, I think this was from his 80's.."Under The Influence .Edited( I looked at my CD and it's not on this one.)I don't always have my CD's available, but I still think it was  on an 80's maybe  " Tribute Album " Keith Whitley or something like this. I have heard it and really love this song. Wish Alan would redo this one, his voice is so mellow & much better now!

Love that song so much!
Alan and Keith W.do sound a bit alike. Does anyone know if Keith wrote this song? I remember the older songs but not always the exact info.. Where is Kay when we need her, she has all the knowledge of the older songs . BHR, is a great source also for info.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:32:30 am by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
dizzydean

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 09:11:51 pm »

It was a song he recorded with Keith Whitley...and the song is a beautiful song.

"Lovin AJ since 1990"
BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:23:19 am »

I don't recall "Don't Close Your Eyes" being on the Under The Influence album nor did he record it with Keith Whitley. Alan did record it for the Keith Whitley tribute album, Keith Whitley. . .A Tribute Album, in 1994, however. The duet he did with Keith that I know of, posthumously, is the Christmas song, "There's A New Kid In Town," on his Honky Tonk Christmas album. They used the digitalized recording technology to blend in Keith original recording of that song with Alan's own recording of his part to that song.

BHR
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 12:28:26 am by BIGHUSKERSRED » Logged

nelle

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:39:46 am »

Hi hounddogfan and BHR  I just checked my UNDER THE INFLUENCE CD and DON'T CLOSE YOUR EYES is not on it.   Take Care   nelle

Faith, Hope and Love are some good things HE gave us and the greatest is Love.      WWY 
lsmeltzer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 11:59:28 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGsSIw8IpCA&feature=related

I believe that this is the You Tube of Alan singing "Don't Close Your Eyes."  I believe that Keith Whitley did write it.

The following is "Wonderful Tonight" sung by Alan Jackson at the CMA Award Show in 2005.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOp3UjqQXVQ&feature=related

He needs to do a love song album of all of these great love songs.  His voice is perfect for it now.  Gives me the chills to hear him sing these.

How about this old one of Alan singing "He Stopped Loving her Today."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOKs2gEFEEU&feature=related
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:23:09 pm by lsmeltzer » Logged
HariAJFan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 03:26:10 pm »

Don't Close Your Eyes is a great Keith Whitley Album that I have-  that being the name of the title song.. Since there was a Keith Whitley Tribute Album my guess would be Alan sang it on that album. It is not on the Under the Infuence Album..

katluvsaj

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 05:06:03 pm »

It's from the 1994 album "Keith Whitley - A Tribute Album".  Alan does a great job on this Whitley penned song.

Kathy

Alan Jackson's songs touch our minds, our hearts, our souls.
HariAJFan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 10:35:18 pm »

Thanks, Kathy. I love Keith Whitley's music & might get that tribute album. I can imagine Alan doing great on that song.

Somebody

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 06:41:32 pm »

"Don't Close Your Eyes" is on The Keith Whitley Tribute Album and
 Alan does it up real pretty. I love that song. I think I  need to
listen to it right now.
Also-Thanks lsmeltzer for the links! "Wonderful Tonight" is beautiful and I'd
sure love to have it on a cd. Mighty nice way of singing that Alan!
Take Care!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 06:44:15 pm by Somebody » Logged
nelle

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 06:55:10 pm »

Ismeltzer  Thank you very much for those links.     Take Care    nelle        Hi Harriet, Kathy and Somebody.

Faith, Hope and Love are some good things HE gave us and the greatest is Love.      WWY 
AJTexasfan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 07:14:47 pm »

Thank you Ismeltzer for those links - it was great listening to Alan singing!!!

"But old Tennessee and me couldn't take Texas out of her"
lsmeltzer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 08:26:49 am »

glad you liked the links, had fun listening to them, so I thought you might enjoy them also.  Leslie
Dee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 09:28:28 pm »

I think this song is one of my favourite songs by Alan.  Having said that, I confess I have dozens of favourite Alan songs ....  I tend to hit the replay button a few times when this one comes on though.

I've also heard Keith sing it and I love his version too.  He had such a 'gravel guts' voice but I love it.  Such touching lyrics. Heartbreaking - glad it's not the story of my life!
AnitaMartina

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 10:10:04 pm »

Thanks for the link Ismeltzer.  I love the way Alan sings Keith Whitley's "Don'tClose Your Eyes"  That was one of my favorite Keith Whitley songs.  Also, I enjoyed Alan singing "He stopped Loving Her Today.  He had short hair back then.  How old would you say he was when he did that?

AM - "Keep Livin' On Love - Canada

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: