Alan Jackson
May 03, 2024, 08:52:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Future of Music  (Read 3613 times)
HariAJFan

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:53:46 am »

Here's one person's take on what will hapen to music in the future- very interesting.
From All Access:

10 Technology Trends For the '10s
December 29, 2009 at 6:23 AM (PT)
SHARE THIS PAGE
Digg
Facebook
Delicious
StumbleUpon
GET SOCIAL

Tell us what you think
Discuss this article in our Net Talk forums

Follow us on Twitter
Click here to get breaking Net News updates

Become a fan on Facebook
Help expand the All Access community

Its Decades Are Numbered

With a new decade just a couple of days away, DIRECTIONS ON MICROSOFT analyst MATT ROSOFF went NOSTRADMUS on us by penning "10 music-tech trends that will shape the next decade," which has been posted on CNET.COM. ROSOFF picked the following 10 trends in music and technology that will shape the next decade:

* Songs instead of albums
"Fewer musicians will release suites of songs organized around a common theme or sound," he wrote. "With digital files already taking the place of physical recordings, there's almost no economic reason for the album to persist. By 2020, the concept of the album will be an anachronism with a few vocal adherents -- like vinyl records are today."

* Streams instead of downloads
"If you had access to every song ever recorded, on any device, from any location with an Internet connection, wouldn't you rather pay for that service than buy a new CD or two every month? People say they want to own music, but when it's just a digital file, what do they want to own ... why bother? ... By 2020, most professionally recorded music will be consumed as on-demand streams and people won't pay by the track"

* Clouds instated of hard drives
"As users become accustomed to listening to more professionally recorded music on demand, they'll expect their personal collections to be available in the cloud as well."

* Fidelity rather than file size
"Eventually bandwidth will increase to the point where streaming lossless digital files makes sense. Listeners will rediscover detail in the midrange, and tons of information at the low and high ends of the spectrum -- and the MP3 will be looked back as the dark ages of audio quality. "

*Extras become standard
"What's to prevent artists from packaging their music with artwork, lyric sheets, video outtakes, and even interactive applications? "

* Production rather than consumption
"Digital technology, [which] has already democratized the recording process, and the Internet have also made promotion and distribution far easier than they were a decade ago. By 2020, music fans will spend almost as much time creating and sharing recordings with their friends as they do listening to professionally recorded music."

* Suggestions rather than searches
"In a world of on-demand music in the cloud, search will become vitally important. Users will want to be able to find songs not only by title, album, or artist, but also by a few snippets of lyrics, or even by humming or playing part of a melody. By 2020, personalized recommendation services, like those provided by Pandora, Slacker, and MOG, will become even more important than search, and will have to be integrated into any on-demand music service that hopes to survive."

* Festivals rather than big concerts
"With the exception of old, established acts and the very occasional pop sensation, very few bands can fill large arenas or football stadiums. This trend will accelerate as the last bands from the golden age of radio retire. In 2020, no single act will be able to sell 50,000 tickets at Qwest Field like U2 hopes to do this summer. Instead, the only shows that will pack large arenas will be festivals, where listeners can pick and choose among dozens of acts and classes of entertainment."

* Spectacle rather than personality
"The common wisdom today dictates that musicians need a personal connection with their fans. They must blog, tweet, maintain their MYSPACE and FACEBOOK profiles, and generally act like your next door neighbor who's always pestering you to see his band. There's a word for [this] --it's called "spam." Eventually, this cloud of self-promotional noise will dissipate, and will be replaced by old-fashioned word-of-mouth.

* Retro takes on a new meaning
"In 2020, the original iPod will be almost 20 years old ... overtaken by a nearly infinite selection of high-fidelity music, streamed over super-fast wireless connections to increasingly inexpensive portable devices." First-generation iPODS will become the SONY WALKMAN of the Aughts.

« back to Net News

Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 12:53:08 pm »

Take me back to THE GOOD OLE DAYS!
Some of this is happening already, or I feel being pushed to happen..
" Fidelity rather than file size
"Eventually bandwidth will increase to the point where streaming lossless digital files makes sense. Listeners will rediscover detail in the midrange, and tons of information at the low and high ends of the spectrum -- and the MP3 will be looked back as the dark ages of audio quality"

I love Small Intimate venues,  I can see where Festivals would be good, but it's not for Everyone. especially asthmatics.
Alan's Band already interacts with us Fans, I met Monty Allen,@ St Augustine.Love his work too and bought his new DVD
I saw Roger up close and said hello! He seems so super nice & w/ a smile that lights up the room.

Not sure  Business wise, how these changes are going to be for the Singers.I don't know the business that well.

I was hoping the old Vinyl's would come back, they still are around. loved the sound and still have a great turntable , just in case.. sound like no other to me. Bring back the Jukebox, people have them in their TV rooms.
I pay for downloads but many Singers get Their Songs ripped off by their Music being passed around or stolen.

Some Radio Stations stream Music but some have stopped as it is too costly. "Record company's sometimes will not let their music be played on radio of a Singer, if they have to pay for it. Some record company's do not charge  for their
music to be played, and if the Stations have to pay for the music, they simply wont!" NOTE the ones you hear played more often, perhaps theirs does pay, or this was what I was told by a corp. How can the older people who have no idea even HOW to use a computer or machines ever get to Enjoy Great Music again...I guess the wave of the Future is only for the YOUNG. a shame. In My youth, my Parents taught us that aged people meant respect & knowledge. we cared.

Change is not always good. I love Live Singers and really listen to The Music.. I do not go there to drink and  party. I go to see the Singer and listen intently to his/her Music.. Surely we can give them our time, as they have given so much of their own.
This makes me feel sad to read but we know it is happening some already..
Quote-- "* Festivals rather than big concerts
"With the exception of old, established acts and the very occasional pop sensation, very few bands can fill large arenas or football stadiums. This trend will accelerate as the last bands from the golden age of radio retire. In 2020, no single act will be able to sell 50,000 tickets at Qwest Field like U2 hopes to do this summer. Instead, the only shows that will pack large arenas will be festivals, where listeners can pick and choose among dozens of acts and classes of entertainment."

Remembering the older Days when Singers would come out to the stores and promote their sponsers. I enjoyed so much the band and talking to the Singer one on one,That steel guitar."Wow"!!! My Mom got to see Hank Williams Sr. at a HS Gym near where we lived.
Take me back to the ole Days! I'm cranking up my Turntable and getting All the Vinyl's of mine out of the closet.
These contain, Jazz-Blues- Country- Rock - Even ..Long haired Music. Parker will be playing for me , Billie Holiday, waylon Jennings,Don Williams, (Alan Jackson if I have to put him on Vinyl) The old Beatles LP "ABBY ROAD" & Elvis.... I have an old Elvis of my older Sisters, recorded at the old Sun Records. I have an old U2 CD..Live in NY.
What do you all think of the changes for our FUTURE? At my age I wont be around long to worry about it but my teens will.
 Jerrie-- My husband is a tech from way back  and he is totally against the changes. he says it's eventual.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 12:14:56 am by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
lsmeltzer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 09:04:11 am »

I'm with you Jeri, don't like the festivals, getting too old for that.  I enjoy a smaller venue where you can really see the performers, all of them, and really listen to the music.  Not really interested in drinking and partying when I really want to see a certain performer and listen to the music.  Although, some of the new stuff doesn't really sound like music, at least what I want to hear, sound like my parents years ago.  I guess the future of music is the same as the future of television, communication systems, health care, and everything else that we do now.  We will just have to see what happens.  I guess it will never be like the Waltons again.  The only thing constant in life is change, so I guess we will just have to change with the times, or just watch from the sidelines.  We can hang on to what we want for a while, but sooner or later, it will have to go too.  I think back to the turn of the last century and the way that life was then and some was very good, but some was very hard.  I think that with progress, we gain and lose at the same time.  As Alan says in his Balogna song, I wouldn't want to go back, especially to some of it, but I still like parts of the older times.  So hang on to the turn table and get it out occassionally and play the old music and remember the good times.  As for concerts, I 'm sure that smaller venues will still have a place for certain performers and that is what we will have to hope that Alan will stick to in the future rather than the festivals, or a mix of both.  Leslie
AnitaMartina

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 02:17:00 pm »

Yes I am for the small venues and I like the old vinyl records.  I haven't been able to listen to mine for awhile, due to my record player not working right.  But for Christmas, my husband bought me a system that records my vinyl records (33-1/3 & 45 rpm) and my cassettes onto CD's.  I have so many albums that I cannot find on CD's that I am so grateful for this because now I can listen to them again and put them on cds and play them in my car.  Also it records 78's.  My dad has many of them that I will have to transfer on to CD's.  I know he has alot of German/Dutch party music which we listened to alot when we were young.  I hope they are still in good condition.

AM - "Keep Livin' On Love - Canada

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: