Alan Jackson
March 28, 2024, 07:07:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thursday at the Merlefest felt like one of those days you like to sing about.  (Read 2950 times)
GreatLakesKayaker

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2014, 02:52:44 pm »

Packing our beach chairs and a picnic cooler we found a place to set up camp on the lawn for the day.   Between the Watson and Cabin stages there was a continuation of fine music from Junior Sisk and Ramblers Choice (not to be missed!) to The Carolina Chocolate Drops.   With music to stroll by we checked out the Instrument tent, the Artist CD sales tent, rows of merchant booths and the hand craft tent where talented crafters from wood spoon  and leather carvers to wool / yarn spinners demonstrated there gifts.    While my hubby took a siesta, I kicked off the shoes and felt the sun on my toes.   Across the grass children played tag, young folk danced with ribbons and us old folks downed ice creams cones.   As the sun started to set we found a big round table of Merlefest veterans  in the food tent and set to eating BBQ chicken, beans and slaw while laughing to tales of Wilkesboro and past Merlefests!    As the tall trees glowed behind the Watson stage  Alan took the stage with Long Hard Road.  By the third verse we could hear those behind us on the lawn singing along with the chorus.  Yes, Alan is welcomed!   With his respectful and humble words Alan gave tribute to Bluegrass music and the many gifted artist and wished to honor them with his 3rd Bluegrass performance.   All of Alan's band shared such amazing  talent in harmonizing and instrumental solo's with each song!  Sierra Hull was amazing!  By the ninth song I found myself looking up to the stars and giving thanks for all God's blessings on this beautiful day.  You know  Alan's songs have  always had a way of warming your heart but his Gospel and now Bluegrass songs go way beyond to moving our souls.    Well Alan continued to play his Bluegrass songs from his album and returned to the stage for an encore.  But he pulled out with a fast one and took us on the Dixie Hwy to send us back on home!  

Do you know that old song by "Chicago" "Saturday in the park"?  

People dancing, people laughing

A man selling ice cream.

People talking, really smiling.

A man playing guitar.

And singing for us all.

Yes.....It felt like one of those days you like to sing about!  

Bluegrass festival vs a concert venue?    

We be making plans for the festivals!

« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 06:02:24 pm by GreatLakesKayaker » Logged
Bostonhonkytonk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 02:56:38 pm »

Nice review!  I saw him do the Bluegrass album in October at Carnegie Hall.  The show was great.

Did you stick around to see Jim Lauderdale perform?  He's pretty wonderful, too.

One of these days I'll get to Merlfest. 

I got a bug in my Margarita.....
GreatLakesKayaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 03:13:33 pm »

Thank you.  Just Thursday at the Merlefest.   We were returning from family Easter Celebrations in Raleigh, North Carolina.  Wish we could have stayed for Jim, also Steep Canyon Rangers, Sam Bush, Ricky Skaggs, Lonesome River Band..wow..so many to hear!   We plan to return for many more  years.  
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 03:17:32 pm by GreatLakesKayaker » Logged
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 06:14:57 pm »

Great Review and a Fun laden Day! Thanks so much for sharing about Alan singing etc.. Sounds like a Great
Blast and I'm sure it was!The Music must have been Great , for Alan to sing his "BlueGrass"!!!
Congrats on the review and wonderful renderings you experienced hearing Alan. Just Plain Fun sounds like!
So Happy for You, would loved to have gone to that. Sounds Like a Perfect Day of Joy!
Bless You, Jeri

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: