Alan Jackson
May 10, 2024, 07:43:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: My oberservations on Alan's Carnegie Hall Show - SUPERB!  (Read 14446 times)
Bostonhonkytonk

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2013, 11:01:32 am »

This was cut and pasted from my facebook page.  This show was GREAT!  So happy we were able to drive down from Boston to see Alan showcase the Bluegrass Album.  Is it any wonder it's been #1 on the charts for so long? Love this man! Thanks for bringing us all this wonderful Bluegrass music!

My friend, Susan and I pulled into NYC the afternoon of the AJ show at Carnegie Hall on Monday. We got settled and met up with one of our good friends for dinner. She lives in the area so we wanted to make a point to see her while we were in town. She's a big Bob Dylan fan (like us). We stayed within a few blocks of the venue so we walked everywhere.

Anyway, we headed over to the show and stopped to take photos of the tour bus (because I'm pathetic) and the signs that line the outside walls of the hall announcing who's going to be appearing. There's some type of construction/restoration being done to the outside of this historic building so that's why my photos shows scaffolding near the bus, etc.

Carnegie Hall is magnificent and was obviously built to showcase live music. We got 6 row tickets right in front of AJ. They were perfect. Had we been a couple of rows up we would have been looking up the whole night. Our seats were better in this case. Painted white with gold details, the inside theatre is very pretty and is surrounded by clamshell shaped balcony boxes. Alan's sisters were sitting in one.

The evening started out with just the band doing an extended version of Long Hard Road for about 5 mintues and then Alan came out to a standing ovation from stage right.
It's clear that these guys are at the top of their game and this was to be a memorable night of kick-ass music (that's a technical term). I posted a setlist if you want to see what they performed. It's a few posts down. I won't belabor this post to go thru each song. Suffice it to say, there wasn't a person in the house who was disappointed in the show we received. All the AJ fans here know he's a affable guy, known for the gracious treatment of his audiences. Tonight was no exception. He treated us to funny (and sweet) ancedotes and remininces about events in his personal life. Although this show was a special Bluegrass show, he did perform Where Were You You (When the World Stopped Turning) since the show was taking place not too far from the World Trade Center site. You could hear a pin drop in the room and when done, Alan received a standing ovation.
He told about a time when touring, he brought one of his old, restored wooden boats to NY and docked it in the Hudson. It was over a 4th of July weekend and while his wife and kids wanted to take in the sites and stores, he stayed behind to take in the sites from his boat. He said he'll never forget seeing the fireworks going on in the New York sky with the city in the background on Independence Day..... all for "a guy who didn't even leave the State of Georgia until I was 25". It's very clear he's appreciative for some of the gifts he's received due to his success.

He talked a bit about George Jones, his last days and that he sent Nancy Jones a copy of a song, Blue Side of Heaven, the week of her husband's recent passing. Those familiar with the song, know this is a touching gesture. He said Nancy told him she's listened to it almost every day since George's death.

His nephew, Adam Wright, came out to do his part on the song he wrote for the album called "Ain't Got Trouble Now". It had been the first time Alan saw him in awhile and Adam had a beard. Alan said he almost mistook his nephew for one of the Red Sox (which got a resounding amount of boos from the audience). Afterall, we were in the Evil Empire - Yankees country, so we weren't surprised by the reaction.  (I'm a Bostonian).

He told the story about his wife, Denise, asking him who Mary was in the song of the same name. He said the name Mary was a better fit than the name Denise and thought she wouldn't mind since it is the name of the Lord's mother. He talked a bit about his daughter, Ali, as the featured actress in his video for Applachian Mountain Girl - and how he felt she did a good job. Obviously a proud Papa.

He talked a little about the Dillons and Flatt and Scruggs and the public's lack of exposure to Bluegrass unless they watched the Beverly Hillbillies or The Andy Griffith Show.  How true is that?!

He acknowledged his sisters' presence in the house - Adam's mom and another one of his sisters. Susan and I saw them walk by at the end of the show. It's so funny to see them. He's so tall and they are small and petite. You'd never know they were kin of his. Looks more like they'd be older sisters of his wife Denise.

Some of you know Alan's generous with his time towards the end of his country shows - he signs a lot from the stage and always acknowledges the support of his fans and his admiration for them. This night it was clear they didn't want photos or autographs. The ushers would see someone take a photo and would come over and ask them to stop. This lasted a little while and they gave up. Flashes weren't abundant so I think that's why they stopped. So, I got a lot of photos (I'll put them up soon). When AJ came out to do his encore (Blue Moon of Kentucky), I stood at the rail with my copy of the album and a Sharpie (along with a few other fans) but we stopped when it became clear he would not be doing any signing tonight. I didn't want to be a pest so I put it away. I did ask his guitarist if I could have his setlists and he was very nice and untaped them from the floor and gave both copies to me.

One last thing (for now).... I forgot to mention Alan announced that a "friend" was in the City and wanted to stop by and do a number with them. A stagehand came out and set up a mic and soon Lee Ann Womack appeared and did a duet with Alan. It was such a nice treat to hear her perform live.

Anyway, this was a great trip to see AJ. I'm loving this Bluegrass album and I can see why it's maintained it's #1 spot on the charts for the past 4 weeks. Someone asked if I prefered this show to his country show. They're completely different shows. That would be like comparing apples to watermelons. Both are wonderful but taste different. The guys who are backing him on this tour seem to be really enjoying working with Alan. Who wouldn't be? Lucky them.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 10:13:56 pm by Bostonhonkytonk » Logged

I got a bug in my Margarita.....
BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:43:20 am »

Bostonhonkytonk, WOW! Thank you so much for this very detailed and awesome review of Alan's bluegrass concert at the Carnegie Hall. I can almost feel my presence there with you all who attended. I so wish I could have been there. You and your friends are so lucky! I do love the bluegrass album too. It's so nice of Lee Ann Womack to join Alan for a duet on the stage. She's one of the few female country singers that have my admiration. If Alan does a bluegrass concert tour next year, I hope he brings it close to our home so my family and I can go see his show. We will certainly be looking forward to it too. Thanks for the great review, again.

BHR

jinx47

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:11:05 pm »

BEST REVIEW EVER!  Thank you so much!  I am so happy you had such a
magical night.

JINX

LOVING ALAN FROM FLORIDA
Bostonhonkytonk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 12:17:55 pm »

Your welcome, friends.  It's an honor every time I get to see him perform in person.  

I will try to put my photos up over the next week for so.  I moved and can't find my download cord but it's here somewhere i just got to get my hands on it.   I think I got some good shots of AJ and Lee Ann and the rest of the guys.  

luvaj10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:21:00 pm »

Great review of one of his best concerts ever!  A night I will Never forget.  I am so thankful I was able to attend.  It was so special.  Seeing Alan's sisters, nephew and hearing all of his great stories.  Having been to many of his shows, this one has to have been a favorite of mine!
Bostonhonkytonk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 04:49:51 pm »

I should have mentioned..... Alan and Lee Ann sang together on, "Lord I Hope this Day is Good". 

katluvsaj

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 05:54:34 pm »

Thank you so much for that wonderful review.  So glad you had a great time - lucky you!  I'm loving this album - every song is a gem.
Look forward to your pictures - thanks for sharing with us.

Kathy

Alan Jackson's songs touch our minds, our hearts, our souls.
AJTexasfan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 08:33:16 pm »

Thanks so much for such a wonderful review Bostonhonkytonk!!!

"But old Tennessee and me couldn't take Texas out of her"
Bostonhonkytonk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 09:39:42 pm »

I remembered another little, funny story. 

Alan mentioned that he's been to NYC so many times to do concerts, TV shows, etc.   One year he was asked by his old record label to attend some type of (I think) tribute ceremony in NYC.  He said his old label signed a lot of African American artists so when they gathered everyone on stage it was a lineup of among other black folks:  Aretha Franklin, Gladys Knight, The Four Tops, etc, etc..   "By the end of the show, I had 2 Tops on either sided of me and in the middle stood a big, 'ol white guy wearing a cowboy hat".  "Must have looked a bit funny to everyone in the audience - I was the only white guy on stage". 

It was all said in good humor - all the while poking fun of himself.

bflyindi

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 04:17:21 am »

What a great review. I was there also in the second row. I had the privilege of a VIP seat and meet and greet on Alan's bus before the show. It was one of the best nights ever. The show was spectacular, it's a night I'll never forget Kiss
jinx47

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 07:36:23 am »

I am loving all these stories.....keep them coming!

JINX

LOVING ALAN FROM FLORIDA
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 02:53:13 pm »

Thank You so very much for the GREAT Review. Awesome details and I could almost feel the atmosphere of the Show through your words.
I'm so delighted Alan got another chance to showcase his work, esp. this -Bluegrass Album- It is Great!
Love Lee Ann Womack w/Alan, so delighted she was there to sing w/Alan & enjoy the beautiful Hall!

I'm sure everyone enjoyed the spotlighted Musicians and they were proud for a chance to showcase w/Alan, their wonderful Music! The show sounded fantastic! Your review described how Everyone always gives Alan a standing ovation for his "Where Were You" Song.I especially loved all the stories you added, that Alan told.

I'm sure Alan's Family was so proud of him appearing in the famous Carnegie Hall.He was there before but each time is a Special delight for him , I'm sure.
Really a Great review and I'm sure You will have memories of this, forever. Great Seats Too!
Congrats and Thank You."Bostonhonkytonk"!

Congrats to "bflyindi"also! Vip & row 2 seats WOW!also a M&G,
My Congrats to You also! Just awesome! Isn't Alan so nice!! Smiley Thanks again,

So very Happy for All who attended! esp. "luvaj10"  It must have been a Great show" having been to
many of his shows and and This one has to have been a favorite."! Congrats! Smiley
Jeri from MS & FL
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:10:47 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
dee572

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 08:48:55 am »

Very good review.     Wish we could have gone   .          Glad everyone had a good time.

Gone  Country    Arkansas
Bostonhonkytonk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, 12:36:41 pm »

Someone here mentioned that Alan played Carnegie Hall before but the poster that was posted on the outside of Carnegie Hall (with the Thirty Miles West photo) said that it was he first time performing at this venue.  Maybe you're thinking of Radio City Music Hall?  I know he's played there.   Has he played Carnegie Hall before?  Maybe the poster was misprinted.

jinx47

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 05:09:55 pm »

Alan performed at Carnegie Hall on November 14, 2005.  It was a celebration of the 80th anniversary of the
Grand Ole Opry and there was quite a cast of country singers.   It was a really great show and it was
televised....I assume after the event. ....I can't remember when.

JINX

LOVING ALAN FROM FLORIDA
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: