Alan Jackson
May 04, 2024, 07:50:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: My "official" Tulsa concert review!!  (Read 12869 times)
okiejacksonfan

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2009, 06:50:01 pm »

George Stait sings a line in a popular song that says, “Tell me something bad about Tulsa….”.  My guess is that after Saturday night’s Tulsa  concert Alan Jackson is agreeing with that!  What a concert at probably one of the nicest venues he has recently graced with his wonderful vocals and his two decades worth of country hits!  My months of anticipation finally came to an end and we had a fabulous night!  To start things off, 12 of us (including Terry from California),met at a local downtown eatery before heading to the much acclaimed new BOK Center in the heart of downtown Tulsa.  The fan club gave us awesome second row seats and we were sooo close to the stage we never missed a thing and I know I hardly took my eyes off of Alan the whole time!  He looked handsome in his blue shirt trimmed in white! The sound was excellent in the arena and Alan’s rich vocals just seemed to fill the place as the crowd sang along to every song and applauded appreciatively.
He began the set with “Gone Country” and then launched into a great selection of hits from his first decade including “Livin on Love”, “Summetime Blues”, “Pop A Top”, “Little Bitty”, and much to my delight, “Who’s Cheatin Who”!  He then switched into slow gear and graced the crowd with the touching slow numbers and ballads he is so appreciated for such as “Remember When”, “Like Red on a Rose” and “Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning” for which he received a long ovation.  Other decade two hits followed including “A Woman’s Love” about which he laughingly admits he still is learning, “Small Town Southern Man”, “Drive”, and then the crowd pleasing “Country Boy” and “Good Time”.  We were waiting for “Good Time” so we could hold up the letters and of course we were caught a bit off guard and raised a letter or two a tad late but the second time our turn came up he pointed to each letter as he sang it and then remarked that we did better that time!!  The camera folks also managed to get us on the screen with our letters raised and I laughed when I saw all the different heights we held them up at!  As soon as that song was over we just stood right up by the stage watching and singing along and enjoying every long awaited minute!  You could tell how much the Tulsans appreciate genuine country music. 
One of the most memorable moments of the evening came when Alan introduced his band.  When the two okies among the Strayhorns were introduced the crowds cheered wildly!  Alan then asked Mark McClurg, who plays fiddle and sings backup, if he wanted to do a song.  After a short pause Alan teasingly said “come on, we don’t have all night” and Mark and the rest of the Strayhorns launched into a rousing instrumental that featured each band member and especially Mark with his fiddle.  Wild applause ensued when they finished!
Of course the end of the concert came far too quickly.  After playing “Where I Come From” and showing clips of Tulsa and our local football team logos which were met with much loud yelling, the band and Alan left the stage, returning a few minutes later do belt out “Mercury Blues”.  You could tell Alan was tired but he still signed alot of autographs, including two of my items that I had my tall niece hold up within his reach!  I have seen Alan about 6 times in the past two years (wish it was more!) but I must say that this was the best yet!  You could see him feed off of the enthusiam of the crowd that had waited around a decade for his return to our city.  I hope we showed him enough love to make him want to return, because he sure showed us enough pure country gold to make us want him back real soon!
jinx47

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 06:56:16 pm »

WOW.....what a review!  A great evening for Tulsa!

JINX

LOVING ALAN FROM FLORIDA
AJTexasfan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 07:15:39 pm »

Thanks for such a great review!  Glad you were able to be there and enjoy every minute - You make us all feel like we were right there with you!

"But old Tennessee and me couldn't take Texas out of her"
suem

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 08:44:42 pm »

what  a fun review to read!  Thanks for sharing!

ALNJKSN

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 08:50:07 pm »

Great review !!!  Sounds like everyone had a "Good Time !!!"  I'll bet Alan was tired after all the concerts this weekend and the meet n greets for Cracker Barrel !!!  He sure is good to us fans for doing all he does !!!

WE LOVE YOU ALAN !!!! 

Yee Haw !!!
Carla Poggmiller
nelle

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 09:55:36 pm »

okiejacksonfan  that was such a great reviev.  I am so glad you all had such a good time. ALAN is such a great man.  Take Care         nelle

Faith, Hope and Love are some good things HE gave us and the greatest is Love.      WWY 
dizzydean

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 10:09:29 pm »

Okie I know just how excited you were ...he had one here in Fla last month and it
         was really good ...But will have to say yours sounded really great and so happy he went
         to Tulsa  so the fans could enjoy him...dizzy

"Lovin AJ since 1990"
cherival

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 10:18:14 pm »

The concert was great Alan did a wonderful job.  He sure did look tired at the end. I really enjoyed meeting you and your family.  Whom I sat next to.  This really was the best show of Alans I have seen in a while.  I still have a bad taste over the Zoo ampia-theater in Okc Alan was wonderful there but the venue was horriable.  Where I am from.  This sure made up for it.  I hope the Ford Center can do as good as Tulsas BOK Center. 
I do want to thank you for your family being so welcoming.  I will feel much better if I really do have to make a trip by myself.  I almost did this time. 
Hope to see you soon on line and at the concerts. 
cheri
okiejacksonfan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 10:50:06 pm »

Thanks Cheri!  It ws nice to meet you too and my brother in law enjoyed talking with you!  This was his first AJ concert (probably his last too as he isn't a country fan but he had a good time!!).  Hope to see you again soon!  We okies love our ALan don't we?Huh?  yee haw!
January

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2009, 12:01:51 am »

Thanks for sharing, Nan and Cheri!  I can imagine he was tired - he seems to be working way more than usual this year - more concerts, more appearances and a new CD - how nice for us!  Thank you Mr Jackson! - Now...let's talk about Toledo and leaving that razor alone....teeheehee

≈*♥*≈January≈*♥*≈
"Be kinder than necessary for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"
Luckylady44

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 12:08:38 am »

Nan, thanks for the great review, and Cheri for also adding your thoughts!

I felt like I was right there!  That was neat that Mark and the band got to do something special too!   

Loving That Alan Jackson in South Carolina!
Cause life's a dance don't ya know
That's it, there you go

JeanB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 03:56:39 am »

Whaw !!! Great review Nan. Thanks for sharing your wonderful night.
Thanks to you too Cheri.

Jean

Belgian#1 Fan
AJSCALIFFAN

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 12:36:50 am »

Nan, thanks for your great "official" review.  It was a great night.

Livin' On Love in California
ajthecatsmom

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 06:47:39 pm »

Wow okiejacksonfan............what a great review.  Wish I were there but I feel like I was thanks to your minute by minute report.  So glad you had a GOOD TIME!  Thanks for keeping us AJ fans informed!  Gwen...aka...ajthecatsmom!
Dot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 07:48:29 pm »

Wow, great review, thanks so much for sharing.  Nothing like seeing A. J. in concert.

"Gone Country"  From KY
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: