Alan Jackson
May 18, 2024, 09:03:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: NEED ADVICE RE: POSSIBLE TRIP TO NASHVILLE  (Read 10671 times)
ajthecatsmom

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2012, 06:39:47 am »

Hello A.J. friends,

As many of you may know I am a 13 year cancer survivor and did not think I would see my 40th birthday well there is a chance I will see my 50th YAY.......Years ago I told my hubby if I make it to 50 I want to go to Nashville.  We have never been anywhere far from home (Ontario, Canada)  My big day is May 27 and I don't know what to do.  My health is not the best as I am diabetic, must walk with a cane and have a bad back.  Also get tired easily so WHY do you ask "Do I want to go to Nashville?  The obvious reasons.  Country Music Hall of Fame, Grand Old Opry, The Ryman, drive by Sweetbriar and just to see what it is like where Alan has lived his life for so many years.

I am looking for good/bad advice.  We would be driving.  It is 12 1/2 hours and want to stop half way and stay at a hotel for the night.  I tried to get a Tennessee travel book but could only get the online one and find it hard to follow.  I would just like to know what you all think who have been there and if you think it would be worth it.  If I don't go in May, I will NEVER get there.  Would like to know about accomadations, restaurants, walking, and anything else you can tell me.  I THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for ANY info.

God Bless you all Smiley
Gwen
[/i][/b]
Dot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 11:54:07 am »

Gwen,
I just sent you a message about the trip, let me know if it works. Good Luck

"Gone Country"  From KY
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 05:06:25 pm »

Gwen,
I hope you get to see Alan.Since dot is sending you the info I wont.. We have driven many times for 12 and more hours there. Stopping half way is a good idea..I am so happy for you after all the Years to see Nashville. Love it!
Strange your BD is the same as My hubby's and he is diabetic also. He keeps check on it on trips and we stop often.I hope your tests come back cancer free, I will be praying for you dear heart.
It's best to arrive in Nashville before nighttime if possible, the signs are not easy to find for someone out of town.
we stay at a Hotel near Franklin most always but for the Ryman & Opry we often get a Hampton Inn on Music row and
that is near everything we want to see.You have to go on a Tour Bus to see Sweet Briar, unless Dot can tell you in a message.. Lots of driving in Nashvile to get to different places but I feel you will have a blast and enjoy it all. when we went to the Bridgestone Arena to see Alan, it is on Broadway & near the Ryman,and the famous saloon. Also near "The Palm" restaurant, you need reservations for this one.. Singers often are seen here.It can be expensive also. I've seen just about everthing there, due to my son living there. I loved going to the Ryman & Opry as we got front Row at the Ryman! I simply love Nashville and enjoy each visit. We planned to buy a log cabin on some land near my son's but then
came the flood and we decided to wait and perhaps stay here as we have family here too.My son's house was re-done.
Enjoy your trip and  Prayers that you get to go. God bless you & I'm sending prayers for your tests to be fine. Enjoy it and be sure to see all you can. Take care and be careful Traveling. Jerrie-MS
[/b]

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
ajthecatsmom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:15:09 pm »

Gwen,
I just sent you a message about the trip, let me know if it works. Good Luck

THANK YOU so very much Dot.  I went on google and they are sending me the visitor's guide in 2-3 weeks.   Also there seems to be soooo much info on that site.  I really appreciate your help as this would be a DREAM COME TRUE for me.  Thanks again.

(((Hugs))) Gwen
ajthecatsmom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:19:32 pm »

Gwen,
I hope you get to see Alan.Since dot is sending you the info I wont.. We have driven many times for 12 and more hours there. Stopping half way is a good idea..I am so happy for you after all the Years to see Nashville. Love it!
Strange your BD is the same as My hubby's and he is diabetic also. He keeps check on it on trips and we stop often.I hope your tests come back cancer free, I will be praying for you dear heart.
It's best to arrive in Nashville before nighttime if possible, the signs are not easy to find for someone out of town.
we stay at a Hotel near Franklin most always but for the Ryman & Opry we often get a Hampton Inn on Music row and
that is near everything we want to see.You have to go on a Tour Bus to see Sweet Briar, unless Dot can tell you in a message.. Lots of driving in Nashvile to get to different places but I feel you will have a blast and enjoy it all. when we went to the Bridgestone Arena to see Alan, it is on Broadway & near the Ryman,and the famous saloon. Also near "The Palm" restaurant, you need reservations for this one.. Singers often are seen here.It can be expensive also. I've seen just about everthing there, due to my son living there. I loved going to the Ryman & Opry as we got front Row at the Ryman! I simply love Nashville and enjoy each visit. We planned to buy a log cabin on some land near my son's but then
came the flood and we decided to wait and perhaps stay here as we have family here too.My son's house was re-done.
Enjoy your trip and  Prayers that you get to go. God bless you & I'm sending prayers for your tests to be fine. Enjoy it and be sure to see all you can. Take care and be careful Traveling. Jerrie-MS
[/b]

Jeri you are making me VERY excited with all you are telling me!!!!  I cannot wait to receive my visitor's guide.  Aren't you lucky to have a GEMINI for a hubby.  I hear they are the best....... but not at everything. HA.... None of us are.  Any thing you want to know about diabetes I could tell you.  Thanks so much for your prayers.  I will keep everyone posted.

(((Hugs))) Gwen
Luckylady44

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 03:00:03 pm »

Gwen,
Wishing you a great trip and do hope you can go.  Everyone is so helpful there.  Franklin, TN is a neat little city and has a lot of history too.  I know you will enjoy all of Nashville and Franklin. 

Is it worth the trip?  You betcha!  I've been about 10 times and enjoyed each one. 

Loving That Alan Jackson in South Carolina!
Cause life's a dance don't ya know
That's it, there you go

susi67

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 04:54:38 pm »

Gwen, I hope you can make the trip to Nashville. It's a great town, the broadway is also great, a lot of bars and stores with merchandisings of Alan. And I hope, you can see Alan, maybe in the Grand ole Opry.
Good bless you.
Susanne

.....Swissgirl loves Alan.....
Alan, your voice and your songs bring the sun into my heart and a smile on my face !
AnitaMartina

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 06:14:38 pm »

Hi Gwen,  I hope your results come back as good news.  It would be nice for you to go to Nashville.  There is lots to see.  My husband and I went there about 15 years ago on a motorcycle trip.  We had a great time.  We took a bus trip and went past Sweet Briar.  We went to the Ryman, Grand Ole Opry and went inside the Gaylord Opryland Resort. It is worth seeing.  You will not be disappointed.

AM - "Keep Livin' On Love - Canada

miamired

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 10:06:22 pm »

I hope that you are able to follow your heart and make this trip!

I have several concerns regarding your diabetes and back problem.  As you know, food and the proper timing of eating is like medicine to a diabetic.  Please make sure that your hotel room has a fridge and you make a trip to the grocery store asap to meet dietary needs.

A 12.5 hour trip is challenging for a health back, please be careful, you need to stretch a lil' every few hours and pad that car seat with comfort!!  I am uncertain as to if you have any specific lodging in mind.  If you are looking, feel free to contact me, I am very good at hotwire, etc. searches.  I always go to the company's website, etc. and look at the pics of the room and call the hotel with any questions.  I don't know if you require a wheelchair.  Even if you don't require one on a regular basis, it would be a good idea to have one on hand for any unexpected extended walking or standing.  Of course, if you have a w/c, please see that your hotel room is w/c friendly.

Not sure how long you will be staying, your arrival time is just prior to CMA fest.  I will be there then too, arriving on 6/2 or 6/3.  I will be happy to message you with my phone number if you will be there then.  I know several locals there and others that I will be meeting there that go to CMA fest every year.

I have been trying to save money for over 6 months for this trip and I know that money can go so quickly on vacations.  Are you taking a laptop with you and/or do you have a web enabled phone?  Many of us use Groupon for local discounts, but you can be on the alert for specials outside of your city too.  Another that I use is restaurant.com, just type in the zip.  With restaurant.com, you have to be careful to watch for restrictions on weekends or holidays, some have restrictions on food tab only, no alcohol, etc.  Lol, some have no restrictions.  What they offer can vary from month to month, I suspect that less will be offered in Nashville come CMA fest, when so many are paying regular prices, could be wrong.  These coupons tend to have long expiration dates, will likely snag some a month in advance.  With either of those choices, they have phone app's, so you do not need to worry about printing if you have a smart phone.

http://www.restaurant.com/consumer-promotion/search_dlp-new11.asp?utm_medium=cpc&raid=1150&prti=4252&utm_campaign=Branded&utm_source=google&s_kwcid=TC|7304|restaurant.com||S|e|8713271087&mkwid=srjop1nj8&utm_term=restaurant.com&pcrid=8713271

Don't hesitate to let me know if I can help.  Sorry for my medical rant, I have a very maternal side.
HariAJFan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 01:33:04 pm »

Gwen, I have been to Nashville 3 times & love it. Have only been to the downtown area & Opry at the The Ryman- have never gotten up to Opryland & the Grand Old Opry House.

Downtown it is very easy to drive or walk around & find things. I stayed one time in a downtown Hotel, the Holiday Inn Express. Very great place to stay but a bit pricey so the other 2 times stayed in Brentwood & drove in.
Have seen what I really wanted to see- The Ryman of course & Loretta Lynn & Eric Church & the Van Zant brothers on the Opry there. Also the Country Music Hall of Fame, The Wildhorse Saloon-a fun place if you you are in to that sort of place, I loved it- Ernest Tubb's Record Shop, Tootsie's & Legends.

It's good you are spending the night on the way- that's a long long drive. Take care of yourself as others here have advised. When you get to the Tennesee Welcome Center ask them for their Nashville Book. They publish it every year & it has maps & a lot of uesful info. Check out the pamphlets too on Nashvile.

I hope your biopsy comes out OK so you can make this trip.
Hugs
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:34:55 pm by HariAJFan » Logged

Allison

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 03:14:45 pm »

Dot can you please send me the link as well my husband and I are talking about going to Nashville maybe this summer, but I am also coming from Canada just north of Toronto, Ontario and don't have a clue where to go first or where should we stay once we get there.

Thanks
Allison
Barrie, Ontario
Dot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 11:39:28 am »

Allison, just now sent you a message, let me know if it works.

"Gone Country"  From KY
Allison

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 01:41:34 pm »

Thanks Dot

Allison
Barrie, Ontario
bb2832

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 10:32:58 am »

Gwen I hope you have a great trip. I only live 5 hours away and go to Nashville about two to three times a year. In fact just got back, missing Alan's appearance at the Opry. Boo hoo. I don't know what I would do if I lived 12 hours away.  It will be well worth your trip. We have stayed right downtown at the Holiday Inn Express & also by the Opry at the Radisson. Both have shuttles during certain hours & cabs are readily available. I have never been by Sweetbriar but have It on my radar. I wish you well for your health & travels. Take care.

Brenda in Indy
"Life is a journey, not a destination"
IndianaNative

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 07:51:13 pm »

If you are driving down Interstate 65 to Nashville, there is a great State of Tennessee Welcome Center at the rest area just after you cross the Kentucky border into Tennessee.  It is staffed by very helpful people who can provide you with just about anything that you desire in regard to travel, sightseeing, etc. information.  In addition, it is a very new facility with a great sitting room around a large fireplace to take a break from driving.

One of my favorite places in Nashville is the Cheekwood Botanical Gardens.  It is just beautiful and you pass by some magnificant mansions on the way.  It is also relatively close by if you decide to go to Franklin.  If you decide to go to Franklin, you might want to check the recently restored Franklin Theatre.

Have a great trip!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: