Alan Jackson
May 05, 2024, 01:47:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do You Think Singers should be aware of the lyrical content in their music
Violence
vulgarity
vengence
speaking of drugs

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Music Lyrics in Todays Country Music  (Read 8023 times)
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2009, 09:01:44 am »

WHAT IS YOUR OPINON?

I KNOW COUNTRY MUSIC IS AN ART FORM BUT AS PARENTS, SHOULD WE BE CONCERNED ON WHAT OUR CHILDREN
ARE WATCHING ON TV AND LISTENING TO ON COMPUTERS,WHEN PARENTS AREN"T AROUND.

IS MUSIC OF TODAY, IMITATING THIS ART FORM AND HOW WILL CHILDREN KNOW THAT THIS IS NOT THE NORM.

I FEEL WE OWE A CERTAIN RESPONSIBILITY TO USE LANGUAGE THAT IS NOT OFFENSIVE.

DO ARTIST REALLY CARE ABOUT IT"S INFLUENCE OR DO THEY SELL ANYTHING TO GET A HIT

I HAVE HEARD BEAUTIFUL SONGS BY SINGERS, THAT IF ONE LINE HAD BEEN LEFT OUT THAT WAS VULGAR, THE SONG WOULD HAVE BEEN EXCELLENT!

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:52:41 am by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 11:28:31 am »

The Off Topic says we can post ANYTHING, so I had discussed this with my relatives recently and some attend School of the Arts.
This bill is up in the House right now, being voted on. I feel music is important as any Art Form to depict our History.

Country Music has been on radio since 1922. It Indeed depicts History, therefore it's an Art Form we should honor
There was Bluegrass, Honky Tonk and all kinds since . With Elvis and Johnny Cash and others, taking it to the movie screens.

I listen to Country Music quite a lot at home just doing my usual chores. I noted the lyrics on some songs on the internet
were not as they sound, but much more. As parents of young people who listen to all kinds of music, it just occured to me that
what most Radio plays is not my norm and I'm sure it's not for many other people. I'm not some prude who moniters music to pick it apart, but really concerned for children who view the internet and listen when their parents can't always be with them.
The messages they are exposed to in music is not my norm.

There has always been drinking songs and cheating songs but none that dwell on sensuality or violence..Heck if someone actually did some of the things suggested , they would be arrested.

we need good Country Music that depicts our History,. If you listen to some lyrics today, we are a sad society. I do not think most people relate to the violent content or vulgarity.

What kind of society do we want our children to live in, it's up to us basically.. reminds me of the Quote;

"I believe most people are basically good at heart" Anne Frank-   This said after all she endured.

Alan Jackson's Music is about Life, Love and Fun and  Family, it's perfectly safe for children to attend his Concerts !

Thanks Alan Jackson!

Just wondering how most people feel about it.  You do have an opinon do you not?

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 03:12:57 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

Canadiangirl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 01:52:43 pm »

Jeri I don't like the vulgarity in the lyrics
of songs.Have noticed country music is starting
to use it like pop music has for a along time.
It is so sad their is such a low moral standard
in music,movies and T.V. Until people start
shutting it off it will continue to get worse.
Elaine

Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 03:52:17 pm »

Elaine,

That's just it, you can't shut the TV off  but you can control what they see at home, which my family does. How do you control their music on their own computers, which they have to have for homework. fortunately, this is not my family problem but I think with
young people are in to computers far too much, also they don't get proper exercise when doing texing & computer things constantly .
Why can't music just be fun like it used to be or songs that imply what the average persons life is like.

I'm no prude but there is too much violence in young people's lives and what do we expect if they see and accept it as the norm for our society.  we need to wake up and not let this happen! It's really up to us to determine what our society is like.
My children were leaders in their class, not followers but the ones who follow often get on the wrong track in life.

Children are having to take care of parents on drugs etc. what a shame for our society.. They need to know that this is NOT the norm in my family and certainly the good outweighs the bad in our society.

They are being desensitized by vulgar music, far too early in life. Singers should record only music that they will allow their children to listen to. I suppose some singers I wont mention quotes"They do much worse things out there than I sing about"
also" do not bring children to concerts if you don't want them to hear it" Then they go on to call him"A Great Singer and songwriter." Families need to do things with their children, they have so little time when both parents work. Why do concerts that children can't attend. What if all Concerts were like this, This way of thinking in our society seems to be tearing the family apart.

In our society today sex sells, so will they do anything to get a  Hit record and seem proud. the industry just wants  them to sell
music. The more the better. This really concerns me..  then people wonder why is all the violence in school etc.. wake up!!

off my spapbox now --

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 03:22:59 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

Canadiangirl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 05:27:15 pm »

Jeri my daughter is so lucky that her two
girls do their own thing.When I go to Jess's school
I can't believe they way the parents let those little
girls dress and allowed to wear that much make up
Kelsey is 16 and only wears a little make up when
she goes to school dances.My daughter works at a
home with 8 or ten kids that have been taken from
their homes.One day she said mom those young kids
have seen more in their lives then you or I will ever
see.So sad.
Elaine

Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 09:36:23 pm »

Elaine, I agree about things children are around these days. mine do not wear makeup yet but as you said, unless to class function or party. Then only light lipstick. Your Kelsey sounds like my loved ones. They tell me all the time, " we hear much worse things in school."
They plan their future now and read and enjoy nice things in life. They are so kind, I'm so proud of them & their goodness.
one of mine has a friend that is going through the" love boys" age. she laughs telling us that she has to keep her friend out of trouble. she comprehends things like an Adult. so caring and thoughful.

We are taking ours to NY for one special birthday! They want to see the museums etc.
It is sad to see children taken from their homes, there are so many nowdays going through this.
Your daughter sounds like mine, she is making a diffrence in the lives of the children I'm sure. a sad society that has children
and then doesn't feel obligated to bring them up properly. So selfish they put themselves before their children. a shame..

we want our children to be leaders , like your Kelsey. my GD never follows what others do or how they dress. nice to hear there are other parents concerned, not just me being over protective. Thanks. she is the one that went to see her first concert with us. Alan Jackson of course.. He threw a pick to row 3, she caught it and said" I want you to have this,
you like Alan Jackson's music so much." I will never forget that. Her mom said "what about me?" ha she was j/k. I told her I would leave it to her in my will LOL.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:58:24 am by Jeri_MS » Logged

Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 09:51:38 am »

Strange that after my posting this question, as a parent.. I saw where Nichole Kidman made the comment " that violence in Movies
should be a concern to parents" or something of this nature. She went on to say "This is why I do not accept those kind of roles."
She must think it has something to do with our society being so violent, as I do. People especially with children should especially be concerned. Not just in our Music but Movies and other ways.

Just yesterday, in Florida we dealt with a seven year old Girl "SOMER" being on Amber alert. Today we know she was killed not far from home and thrown in the trash. A dectective was smart enough to check when the trash was picked up & follwed the trucks to the Landfill, that went by the Girls house area. If he had not done, this piles of trash would have been over her & she would never have been found. Thank God for this Man's thinking ahead.
Parents watch your children carefully but go on with your life. we can't let this stop our lives, Just use caution.

AJsTricia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 12:00:57 pm »

Such an interesting, controversial, thought provoking subject.  I would like to offer a different perspective. While I see no reason for violence or drug oriented shows on tv I also feel that children can be brought up to be aware of the world around them, the good and the bad.  The sad, tragic, debilitating (like indiscriminate sex, drugs and violence) parts of society will always exist but doesn’t have to influence a child when they are brought up with unconditional love and support, a sense of self worth, and virtuous and exciting goals and expectations.  Knowledge of negative influences in life,  but growing up  being told you are “above” that, and having goals to attain, will foster not only confidence,  but as Jeri describes her g-children, compassion and kindness.  

I see music as an art form and as such, an expression of the human experience. Sometimes it will be vulgar but I don’t believe an occasional negative lyric will affect a child who has a strong sense of self worth and exciting plans for the future.

I think an  area that is more important for parents to be concerned with is making sure that the friends of their child meet with their approval and that they have quality social environments to enjoy themselves in and be influenced by, such as church functions, approved camps, scouts, etc.

In a nutshell, a young person with goals will make their own decision not to indulge in destructive behavior because not only does it interfere with their plans, it just is not very interesting.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:42:55 pm by AJsTricia » Logged

I can see me loving you forever ~ I can feel my arms around your life ~ I can taste your lips against my memory
Listen to your senses, what they have to say.
AJsTricia

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 12:06:15 pm »

Jeri, I just looked at the question again. Are you suggesting that singers are not aware of the lyrics they sing? I guess you mean are they aware of the influence their lyrics may have on young minds.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:09:40 pm by AJsTricia » Logged

I can see me loving you forever ~ I can feel my arms around your life ~ I can taste your lips against my memory
Listen to your senses, what they have to say.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: