Alan Jackson
May 18, 2024, 09:00:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aircheck asks Alan "Where were you?"  (Read 8535 times)
HariAJFan

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2011, 12:32:54 pm »

On Country Aircheck I found this:

Where Were You?
Last week, Country Aircheck put out a call
asking for readers’ answers to the question
posed in the song “Where Were You (When
The World Stopped Turning).” The responses
have been overwhelming in all respects. This
week and next, Country Aircheck will run as many as we can
as the world prepares to mark the 10-year anniversary of the
Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the United States.
• Alan Jackson: I was at home. I was outside and had been on
a walk ... it was a pretty day and when I came in it was on the
television that the first building had already been hit. I’m sure I
was like most people, just shocked – like it wasn’t real.
A week or so before I wrote [the song] I was doing an
interview similar to this and somebody asked me what I was
doing that morning. So that night when the song kind of came to
me the original verse line was “Where were you when the world
stopped turning” and I said, “I was just walking around in the
sunshine, I wish there was something more I could say.” That
was the original line I changed later, but that’s how it set up all
those verses to be questions. Like it was an interview, almost.

jinx47

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 01:53:53 pm »

I have never heard him say that before.  Thanks for sharing!

JINX

LOVING ALAN FROM FLORIDA
JeanB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 02:13:22 pm »

Thanks for sharing Harriet.

Jean

Belgian#1 Fan
Canadiangirl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 05:11:08 pm »

Thanks Harriet .This was so interesting.I wonder
how many can remember where they were.George
and I had just got back into Canada from a visit to
the States in our motor home. George had a early
morning tee off and was getting ready to go golf
when he saw it on the CNN.
Elaine

jinx47

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 05:23:40 pm »

I was "on a cold  interstate" headed to a Jazzercise class when the first hit happened.  Was in the parking lot when the second one happened.   I will always remember all the events that happened after that...so scary.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:26:41 pm by jinx47 » Logged

JINX

LOVING ALAN FROM FLORIDA
BETTY

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:55:18 pm »

I was on break at work watching TV. I will never for get that morning.
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:58:12 pm »

I remember Sitting and having my coffee watching Matt on The Today Show, NY. I saw it in disbelief and thought it was just a small plane had accidently crashed, then Matt Lauer was saying " a second one hitting" and showed it Live.I was in shock & disbelief..,,, crying
 I called my Husband crying, at his work.. He told the others there @ work. I called my children to touch base and then My Mother..I did most of all the things Alan asked if you did , in the Song.. we prayed.. I hated most that my children & Grands would never grow up in a world, as I had. Such freedon and no worries of war then, not hatred, very safe for me.
The world would never be the same, but life goes on. I thank Alan for putting the words to this Song. It has become an Anthem of Healing, for our Beloved Country. I had just seen the Towers in NY and it was sad to Go to NY later & they are gone.

I watched in shock the people running from the dust and the first responders. That Horrfic Day we saw what Hero's are!

Alan had the NY Firemen flown into one of his shows later on.. I appreciated the feelings given to all of us here In The USA by Canada and all our Friends.Thanks to all of you,,, I was in shock for days.I was feeling shock, & sadness for those who died..Anger, wondering how could this happen in our Beloved Country. How could anyone feel such hatred for a Country who had helped so many.
Thanks Alan for your song, "Where Were You" I had this "WWY" emblem made for this Day of Remembrance 9/11.
Never forget! God keep America safe during this Tribute Show w/Alan Jackson and others.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:07:20 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
HariAJFan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 09:00:57 pm »

We were at home, it was an off day for me & I had just stepped out of the showere & heard my Hubby say "A plane just hit the World Trade Center" & I was thinking the pilot was a dummy but got to the living room in time to see the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower then knew it was an attack. We watched it all day, incredulous at what we were seeing. I felt an incredible sadness for all the people who were lost & at the same time an anger at the extremists perpetrating this horrible crime on out country.

dizzydean

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 09:35:03 pm »

I was  in Cancun,Mexico in a jewelry store and the news  came ane we left  and went back to the ship to watch the TV to see what happen...That was a sad day.

"Lovin AJ since 1990"
BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 11:23:26 pm »

Harriet, thanks for sharing this with us all. I was in our kitchen fixing lunches for my hubby and son to take to work with them and my hubby was sitting infront of his computer reading something online. As we always do every morning before breakfast, we had our stereo turned on to a country music station and the song they were playing at that moment was cut off with a breaking news announcement from one of the DJs who was saying over and over, "OMG! OMG!" Then he went on to say that they have just received the report that a one of the Twin Towers was just struck by an airplane. Hubby hollered at me to turn the tv on to CNN. We were both in disbelief to see a second airplane struck the other Tower and as we watched everything unfolded. Both my hubby and son still went to work but our son was sent home early by his boss. My hubby kept calling me on the phone making sure that I was ok and also to inform me of how things were at the VA Hospital where he was working at. I watched the tv practically all day in tears, sadness, shock and disbelief.

That feeling of sadness and anger continued on for me the next day with, unfortunately, experiencing the ripple effect of the terrorism attack on many people first hand that to me had been surreal. It was very understandable all the mixed feelings of fear and anger after that tragedy that people were having then, however, I didn't quite expect to experience what we had experienced at a store that day. It was my regular grocery shopping day so I thought I'll go ahead and do it even though I really didn't feel like doing it. My hubby dropped me and our son off at parking lot of the very same store I've always done my weekly grocery shopping at and ran his own errands. As we were walking towards the store, a woman with young children who was also going to the store pulled her children, as soon as she saw us, on the side across from where we were, looking at us as she was doing it. Couple of men walking not too far behind them also kept looking at us and kind of keeping their distances from us. When we got inside the store, another woman with young children did the exactly same thing and many other customers also gave us the cautionary looks. I felt as though we have not been at that store before or that we didn't belong there. . .I didn't know what to think. For those of you who doesn't or didn't know yet, I am not a US born citizen, but I'm a naturalized US citizen. So, sufficed to say, the very next time we went out, I wore a t-shirt with the American flag and the words, "I Am Proud To Be An American" emblazoned on the front, and yes, I got quite a lot of interesting looks, as well as smiling faces. It was really sad that this has to happen but my family and I did understand those people's feelings of fear and uncertainty and respected them. I apologize to anyone who I may have offended by what I have just shared here. I just the felt the need to include this as this was a part of my own personal memory of the 9-11 terrorism tragedy that I will never ever forget.

BHR

lsmeltzer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 12:47:53 pm »

I was just finishing a meeting at a hotel and saw it on the tv in the lobby.  Raced back to work, listening to it on the radio, and watched it the rest of the day on TV at work.  Was incredible.  We were going to Canada at the end of the week, and did, but didn't know for sure if we would be able to get back.  But we did.  Watched President Bush on TV from Canada when he omitted Canada as one of our allys, they were really upset at that.  It was a time we will never forget. Leslie
bb2832

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 11:29:46 am »

Wow..I have never heard this interview with Alan either. I think we will always remember where we were. I was at work in downtown Indianapolis, at AT&T. My husband called to let me know what happened and told me to leave work. He said they will hit the Telecommunications buildings first. My co-workers and I were all in shock as we ran to the nearest breakroom in time to see the 2nd plane hit. People just picked up there stuff and left for home. Our world will never be the same and we will never forget. Thanks Alan for helping us heal with this special song.

Brenda in Indy
"Life is a journey, not a destination"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: