Alan Jackson
May 18, 2024, 06:52:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Stage collapses at Sugarland concert in Indianapolis..several died/hurt  (Read 11332 times)
bb2832

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:30:34 am »

For those who have not heard, the stage at the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis collapsed last night, when a horrific storm blew in. So far 5 people have died, several others are injured and being treated in local hospitals. Sugarland was just about to take the stage and were uninjured. Please join me in praying for those who were hurt and for the families who lost loved ones.

Brenda in Indy
"Life is a journey, not a destination"
bb2832

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:38:17 am »

I got this information from the GAC site where you can view an actual video taken during the catastrophe:

The main concert stage collapses during a storm at the Indiana State Fair on August 13, 2011 in Indianapolis, Indiana. The stage fell just before country duo Sugarland were scheduled to perform, killing at least five people and injuring as many as 40 more.

A deadly storm with wind gusts of 60-70 mph slammed into the Indiana State Fair late Saturday night at approximately 9 p.m. local time causing the main concert stage to collapse.  At this time authorities are reporting at least four dead and over 40 fans receiving treatment at local hospitals.  It’s estimated that more than 150 fans were also treated at a makeshift triage unit at the fairgrounds itself.

It’s possible the death toll from the stage collapse at the fairgrounds in Indianapolis, which occurred as a crowd of about 12,000 waited for a performance by Sugarland, could go higher, local authorities are reporting.

Brenda in Indy
Canadiangirl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:40:31 pm »

My prayers go  out to all those who lost loved
ones.
Elaine

JeanB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 02:52:10 pm »

I saw it on the Belgian tv this evening. Horrible view ...My prayers go out to the victimes.

Jean

Belgian#1 Fan
katluvsaj

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 03:30:57 pm »

My prayers go out to the victims & their families!  How terrible! 
I've been to the Indiana State Fair to see Alan several years ago.

Kathy

Alan Jackson's songs touch our minds, our hearts, our souls.
Kanaloa

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 03:43:45 pm »

Prayers and blessings to the families of the injured and killed.  Way too sad. 

ajarkansasfan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 04:47:18 pm »

Prayers go out to the families.             And we all wonder why the security for all the fairs this has happened to  didnt get word on storm coming and announce to people to leave or go to some building or shelter.  we all know when its dark and night out its hard to see the sky and clouds,,  but we all say security or people organizing the fairs  could help getting the word out to all the different areas of the fairs.

Gone Country  in  Arkansas
BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 06:03:08 pm »

Prayers go out to the families. And we all wonder why the security for all the fairs this has happened to didnt get word on storm coming and announce to people to leave or go to some building or shelter.  we all know when its dark and night out its hard to see the sky and clouds,,  but we all say security or people organizing the fairs  could help getting the word out to all the different areas of the fairs.

Ajarkansasfan, that is exactly my thought too. Below are 2 links with updated report on this horrific incident and from reading them, I could not believe that Jennifer Nettles and Kristian Bush (nothing against them. . .but...) it WOULD SEEMS even agreed to have their show go on taking a real bad risk. To have someone make an announcement on the stage that the show would go on with a warning to the members of the audience to be prepared to leave if the storm gets worst to me is stupid and thoughtless of the well being of the concert goers and the concert/stage crews. I think Alan would have had his show cancelled immediately and called for a postponement of it rather than risk anyone getting hurt and or killed by the storm. I hope Sugarland puts on a benefit show and matching the proceeds which would then go towards helping the famillies of the injured and killed in this tragic incident. Just my honest opinion here.

http://www.cmt.com/news/country-music/1669034/stage-collapses-fans-die-at-sugarland-concert.jhtml
http://www.theboot.com/2011/08/14/four-fans-dead-following-stage-collapse-at-indiana-state-fair/

Prayers to all of the victims of this tragic incident and their families and friends. Heartfelt sympathy and condolences to families and friends of those who died. So sad.

BHR

BETTY

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 06:43:54 pm »

My PRAYERS go out to all the family.  I would have been there if Alan had been there in concert. WE were there Thurs nite for Big Time Rush.
miamired

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 07:30:55 pm »

Certainly, prayers being sent to all those affected by this tragedy.   Sugarland seem like very nice people.   feel certain that they are devastated by this event as well  as crew members who constructed the stage.

Many questions need to be answered regarding this matter and i will refrain from judgement until then.  I have a FB friend who is a photographer and took the pictures in the link provided.  The pictures are chilling to view and my friend did an outstanding job capturing the collapse.

In 1977, what would have been my second Led Zeppelin concert, was cancelled due to similar conditions at Tampa Stadium.  Back then, we did not have satellite for weather, doppler radars, etc.  The powers that be at the event saw (like we all did) ominous black clouds, thunder and lightening approaching.  As awful as the cancellation was to hear, at least the decision could be forgiven easier than injury or death to the audience or members of Led Zeppelin.

Anyone close to my age of 53 will likely recall the  tragedy in Ohio in 1979 at a concert for The Who.  11 young people were trampled on and suffocated as a rush of other concert attendees attempted to get "the best seat."  In those days general admission seating was popular, it has since been band at most indoor concerts.  

I doubt that there are standards for stage construction to assure safety in the highly unlikely event of 60 mph winds occurring.  It's my experience that in tragedies such as this, that it is not the error or malfunction of one thing or person, but a series of events that serve as a catalyst for the event to occur.

Police and emergency crew are required at all concerts.  They police have the ultimate authority to shut events like this down.  I have many question that need to be answered.  For now, all I can do is pray.

My friend posted his pics on a local radio station  in Indiana,  it's much easier for me to post he pics from there than from FB.  If you want me to send the pics from my FB page, message me and I will give you my FB link.

http://www.hankfm.com/PhotoPages/Photos.aspx?AlbumID=118350
bb2832

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 10:35:00 am »

The Indiana State Fair closed yesterday due to the tragedy. This morning they had a memorial service for the five people who lost their lives. Still many more remain hospitalized, including three children, some who are so critical, they are fighting for their lives. It is indeed a tragedy. We just made it home on from our trip, on our motorcycle, when this happened.  We knew severe weather was coming for over an hour before it actually arrive here, and we live about 20 minutes from the fair grounds. I agree this tragedy could have and should have been avoided. I too have seen Alan Jackson at the fair a few times in past years and believe like others, that he would have cancelled or postponed the show. My heart and prayers continue to go out to all of those affected.

Brenda in Indy
BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 02:40:54 pm »

Miamired, thank you and I appreciate the comment you posted. I would like to add, however, that while the police/fairground security has the ultimate decision to shutdown events such as this one under this kind of weather condition or for whatever other reasons, the artists/entertainers have the moral and consciencious responsibility to do right by their fans/followers if and when all their well beings are going to be put at great risk, such as what happened here, to just cancel or postpone/reschedule their show. That's my only concern in this situation here. How well or poorly put together the stage is should not be a matter of concern here too. When an imminent storm alert with an order of evacuation has been given by the Indinia National Weather Bureau, it should have been heeded. I'm also a bit irate with the Indiana governor stating that what happened was a fluke. The weather that caused the stage to collapse maybe is, but, the death and injuries among the fans were completely preventable. I, too, is awaiting the result of the investigation of this incident as, as you have stated, there are just so many questions that are needed to be answered. Thanks, again for your post and good to see you back here again.

BHR
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:19:38 am by BIGHUSKERSRED » Logged

miamired

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 09:54:39 am »

Thank you for the welcome back Big Husker!  My FB photographer friend has just put out his photos in video format on YouTube.  Can anyone else see (what appears to be cloud rotation) starting at the 10 second mark until collapse?  I have been holding and dragging the control, frame by frame and it looks very questionable to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxnQmqxkORk&feature=player_detailpage

The photographer also posted this very informative article regarding the fact that no inspection is required for stages in Indiana.  I doubt that any of us knows what our states require.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110816/NEWS15/108160318/In-Indiana-inspections-not-required-outdoor-stages?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CIndyStar.com
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:59:23 am by miamired » Logged
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 10:22:24 am »

Love and Prayers for all affected by this horrific tragedy!

Thank God for "SUGARLAND'S" Manager for Not going on stage, a woman's intuition and Prayers saved them.

Thank you God, for those saved. Prayers for those lost. My Deepest Sympathy to all who perished and Families.  Bless all who were injured also..
God Bless, Jerrie and Family from Florida
PS- I could not watch the TV tragedy, much too painful for me..

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
bb2832

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 07:12:30 pm »

The tragedy lingers as the 7th person died today. There are numerous law suits and lots of grief. I am still praying for the lost ones and the families and friends of all involved.

Brenda in Indy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: