Alan Jackson
May 06, 2024, 03:49:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alan's Cookbook  (Read 21366 times)
January

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 06:12:21 pm »

I made Anne's Baked Potato Soup tonight (also made some ham etc sandwiches) - I added a little leftover ham, some onion salt, celery salt and a little more pepper than called for - used the chicken bouillon cubes and 3 potatoes instaed of 2  and only 4 cups of milk instead of 5 (that was an option)  It is a much thinner soup than I usually make but very tasty - I will definitely make it again and again - and it made a fair amount - filled the 3 qt saucepan so there is plenty to share and some to freeze ---it is hard to cook for 2.......  Thanks for sharing this one Alan!!

≈*♥*≈January≈*♥*≈
"Be kinder than necessary for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 01:35:52 pm »

I'm still cooking a lot of My Mother's old recipes too and they are mostly like Alan's . we have to remember that Alan said
"Denise still cooks some of the old recipes but makes them more healthy now and adds her way too" amazing that you can do that as I have recently and it tastes about the same..This book reads like my moma's old recipes, I guess Southern cooks, still cook a lot of the old southern recipes, even if gourmet. I found one of My Mother's old recipes last night written in her own handwriting. it's a keeper! especially since she passed recently.
Love this book! Haven't made hubby use the apron yet,,,,,
Jerrie
January , jinx, well all of you  are making me hungry , making all the recipes ha! it's  great to see these old recipes again!

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 01:38:31 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
lsmeltzer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 02:00:28 pm »

Jeri, a recipe in your mother's own hand writing is definitely a keeper.  A cousin of mine had a recipe from my mother years ago, and she gave it to me.  She copied it, but gave me the one in my mother's hand writing.  It is very special, since my mother has been gone for over 13 years now.  Leslei
January

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 02:55:40 pm »

I have some my grandma wrote out for me - I love them!  Today I made the crunchy coleslaw from Alan's cookbook - sans chicken - using it as a side dish for a ham dinner - so very different from the miracle whippy  one I always make  - I like it a lot - I hope the rest of the crew does too (I have been tasting - lol)

≈*♥*≈January≈*♥*≈
"Be kinder than necessary for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle"
January

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 09:41:50 am »

The cut-out cookie recipe from the new cookbook is really a keeper (I made Valentine hearts ) - I doubled it and got enough cookies but not so many that frosting them became a chore - rolls out really easy and whips up quick!

≈*♥*≈January≈*♥*≈
lsmeltzer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 09:21:20 am »

Thanks for the review of the cookie dough, may have to try it for St. Patty's day with 4 leaf clovers.  Leslie
January

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 09:28:22 am »

Leslie - remember to change the amount of flour to 1 1/2 C - (the cookbook says 1/2 C) - Gayle

≈*♥*≈January≈*♥*≈
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: