Alan Jackson
May 14, 2024, 05:24:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: Alan Jackson, the best of the immortal (if weary) country stars  (Read 12642 times)
Somebody

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2011, 10:19:39 pm »

http://www.theday.com/article/20110430/ENT10/110439987/1044
Photochic820

kimberly_rocha@msn.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:18:06 am »

Thanks so much for the link and of course you photo is amazing!

~KIM~
suem

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 10:31:26 pm »

I didn't like how the reviewer ended the review.......I like that Alan doesn't run around like a fool.  His music energizes me!

Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:53:12 pm »

Thanks Beth!

Sue, I agree with you, it doesn't matter if Alan moves or not. I love to just hear him Sing. It's his personality and nature
to be focused. I so miss hearing his Love Songs and all his work..in Concert, time for FL Alan!!

I love the Cracker Barrel DVD and play it a lot!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 12:34:04 am by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
vamp1227

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:11:41 pm »

I agree Sue and Jeri..I was actually amazed the way he graced the stage..to me it was a perfect show..I have been to many,many concerts and nothing compares to Alan's show Friday night..I had goosebumps from the time the lights dimmed and he walked onstage..still have them..LOL..

RAY
nelle

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:27:38 pm »

Somebody, thank you for the link and picture.  I agree with sue jeri and vamp1227 and I am glad you had such a good time vamp1227. I saw ALAN at AC. on SAT. and he was great and I loved every minute of it. He is perfect just the way he is.
Take Care    nelle
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 08:02:05 pm by nelle » Logged

Faith, Hope and Love are some good things HE gave us and the greatest is Love.      WWY 
vamp1227

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 07:46:02 pm »

Thank you nelle..Glad you had a great time!!

RAY
Kanaloa

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 08:44:57 pm »

Alan is always great and we can not ever wait for the next concert as soon as we leave the auditorium.  You can NOT improve on perfection.  Guess we need to expect criticism but ouch.   I am looking forward to Everett, WA. in August and three year hiatus for me.   Too long........and I can not wait......

BIGHUSKERSRED

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 10:01:02 pm »

I found this review a bit interesting, in that, I don't think I've ever read any Alan concert media review that had mention the Strayhorns in a negative manner. . .it's either a positive note or they're not mentioned at all. Speaking of which, and this is not whatsoever in defense of the writer, I think the referrance to not moving on stage by the writer is about the Strayhorns and not about Alan. I did make the same observation in some of the concerts of Alan's that my family and I have attended. Sometimes they move around, sometimes they chuckle or smile, but they don't do that often enough or at all. That's what the writer was saying and, I'm sorry, but I have to agree with him on that one. And what he said about Alan's appearance on the stage, the remark is about how he holds his guitar around his neck like a prop, as the writer said it, to only ocassionally strum it. . .George Strait does the same thing. . .that I believe he's saying having something weary about it, not Alan's not moving much on the stage. If anything, I think the writer appreciates Alan's true to country music tradition kind of stage performance. My hubby has said the same thing about GS one time while we were watching him perform on tv at a country music award show. . .and I quote, Why does he have to hold his guitar if he is not going to play it? It make no sense and looked foolish., unquote. What people like this writer and my hubby doesn't understand is, some, if not most, artists use their guitars not just to play it while they're singing, but also to give them a feel of comfort (like Linus's security blanket) and calm their nerves down when they're performing on stage and I think this is true with Alan and GS.  Just my opinion here.

Kanaloa, Enjoy Alan's concert at Everett. I'm envious. Wish we still live in Washington.

BHR

okiejacksonfan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 07:53:28 pm »

Hmmm, that review started so awesome and then went almost to tacky.  I have seen Alan and his band quite a few times and only thought once in all those times (on a hot summer night outside) that they seemed not thrilled to be there, especially ALan that time.  The writer needs to realize these guys are mostly fairly old and we don't want someone having a heart attack trying to be all entertainy!!!  But in their defense he usually places Monty and Mark near stage front and if you have ever watched Mark, he sings and plays his heart out and is often pretty animated, unlike the older band members.  Brooks and Dunn are in their mid fifties but I think are in better shape and ARE the main attractin at their concerts so they do more moving around.  I think it's neat that ALan hasn't traded his band members in for young ones!  Alan always says he isn't that great at guitar but I know in the early days he played alot so is used to it hanging on him.  At Cadillac Ranch for the 20th anniversary concert he played most of the songs since alot were from way back--it was neat to see that for a change I will admit!!  SO he CAN do it if he wants--hehe.  But I think that man could sing the phone book and I'd still go.......HE is what folks come to see and it's respectful of the band to stay low key in the background.  He's also said he's too uncoordinated to try to dance or do stuff and doesn't want to embarass his daughters--I believe him after seeing how he just sort of ambles around the stage :-)
dizzydean

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 03:44:47 pm »

I thought it was tacky from the start I am glad he finaly found something nice to say....I had the feeling that he did not know who Alan was and was just writing  a review.I didn't understand why he was criticizing the band they are not suppose to get out and run around the stage..Anything Alan sing is always the best for me..

"Lovin AJ since 1990"
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 03:11:33 pm »

BHR,
I have seen Alan many times and the band  is awesome too. They look dead serious about the music they play a lot and
sometimes they get happy and show it, by seeing the audience interactions. They are very professional and I'm sure that Alan is a bit of a perfectionist with his music. Ever note the way in which Alan points to one of the guitarist or whomever, he wants to play. I love it when the band breaks loose with Alan and Jams on a Song!

Alan , I feel uses the Guitar to play if he likes but mostly to keep on cue with the music. The night I saw him, he was using the Guitar that Denise had made special for him .I think for his Birthday.

Jerrie

bb2832

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 03:43:54 pm »

The review is only the author's opinion.  Afterall he does consider him a master as noted in this following statement. We all know that is true:

You weren't watching a meandering show by a journeyman, anticipating a few hits strategically sprinkled into the evening. It was a barrage by a master — and virtually every song was a stunner. That's incredibly rare.

Brenda in Indy
"Life is a journey, not a destination"
okiejacksonfan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 08:10:30 am »

That was my favorite comment by the reviewer too!
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 12:32:28 am »

You weren't watching a meandering show by a journeyman, anticipating a few hits strategically sprinkled into the evening. It was a barrage by a master — and virtually every song was a stunner. That's incredibly rare.

This says it all, I totally agree.. Alan is a Master, who makes it seem so easy. His CD's are not one or two good Songs
"sprinkled into the CD", The whole CD is top notch with every Song!
Jerrie-MS

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: