Alan Jackson
June 29, 2024, 05:01:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tom Petty's Recent Bluesy Release  (Read 4178 times)
miamired

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2010, 11:03:29 pm »

I believe that many here have a varied collection of music.  Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers are good ol' southern boys that have been around for 35 years now.  I recently discovered the recent release of "Mojo" and (IMHO) it is his best work yet.  It has a strong blues influence and is a showcase for the often under rated guitar work of Mike Campbell.  Many of the early rock bands from England have spoke of their influences being that of grassroots American music, esp. the blues.  Bluegrass is a cousin of the blues, country music a cousin of blugrass, rock and roll (esp. the early) is a cousin of all of these influences.

The last link is about a doc that Tom did affirming the interest that his band (like many) often "jam" to the blues.  I feel confident that AJ's band would be happy to jam to this music.   (Excuse the first 20 seconds of the doc)

So, what y'all think?  It must be liberating for the band to produce work without concerns of it being mainstream in appeal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LAA6lF6uFI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_iBKacXIA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZK_7yoM2T0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOJeUhUz70E
miamired

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 09:51:35 pm »

A Open Letter To All:

I have had the pleasure of sincerely responding to many here.  I was drawn (and will remain memorable) to the many kind and thoughtful words exchanged among AJ's dedicated fanship here.

However, I do not feel as though I belong here.  We share the same love of AJ and his music, but I must honestly admit that I feel out of place here.  Please forgive me while I say the following, this is difficult.

I feel blessed with beaming with the love of many types of music, esp. the rock and roll that I grew up on.  I have come to know jazz, country, bluegrass, the blues, classical, etc.  Whoaaaaaa, can't forget Motown!      

I do not require that anyone agree with even 1/4 of my musical tastes or experiences.  I do feel as though there is a certain implication here to rarely speak of anything other than country music or AJ.  It (FEELS) as though AJ and country music are a religon and dare I suggest that anyone convert,LOL!

At times, I feel as though I a am a teenager again and partially hiding my musical playlist from my parent's.  My dad recently reminded me that Frank Sinatrara, Tony Bennett, etc. WERE once "POP" music and had their many objectors,LOL!

I can tell you that the feeling of not being able to comfortably express one's opinion to something outside of country music or a particular country star is not consistent with that of other fan sites.

I sincerely respect the prevailing opinions here.  I wish all of you the best.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers.   This is going to make me cry!  AJFC has so  may great people in this fanship.  Ooops, here I came....and there goes the neighborhood! LOL!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 09:53:07 pm by miamired » Logged
Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:50:00 pm »

miamired ,
You are welcomed here in the Forum. I'm sure most of us have been exposed to other music and personally I like, because of my parents raising me this way, to appreciate all forms of Music. I love everything from Chamber Music, long hair music, to top 40 , but as I have aged, I think I'm getting back to my roots( which is Country) This is Alan's Board  and he Sings Country Music is why we post about it. It would be rude to post on his Site about others , unless it's in the Off topic..

I guess most Fans here  just love Country Music and are Fans of Alans and others. Even Alan Has mentioned Elvis and he re-did the ole Jerry Lee Lewis, I think it is, "Great Balls Of Fire" Country Style.I liked Charlie Rich, myself..

Not to worry, some days I feel out of place. Terry is busy working and some others don't post as much as before and frankly I miss them ,I can honestly say that Alan has the nicest group of Fans, I have met only nice ones. Enjoyed it so much. Drop by once in a while to post. The forum changes as we get new Fans from all over the world.
Many people are Fans of Toby or other people in the AJ Off Topic.  Drop by when you can, you can always put your opinon in the OFF topic..we are mostly family people and you should feel welcomed..so sorry if you don't.Time is limited some days
Take Care and return soon. Jerrie-MS

BTW- I love the Blues living near Memphis and hearing it there. W.C. Handy was Great in Blues, although I think he was from Alabama. Also Love BB KIng from near us in Iuka, MS.Elvis was huge where we lived, being near Memphis. His birthplace is near My mom's old Homeplace,near Tupelo, MS. Elvis actually sang Gospel in Memphis with the Blackwoods in
background, his Mom loved Gospel, he did that for her. Elvis  was a really good Singer who died much too soon. Jazz I love it, we have Jazz Festivals here. It originated in the south."Satchmo", better known as Louis Armstrong ! Loved his "What A Wonderful World."and the great Nat King Cole..had a wonderful voice!.. I went through the Beetles, Elvis,Rock and Roll,
amd Loved James Taylor because my Sister's son who died so young, used to play Guitar and would sing all his Songs.
"Time In A Bottle" etc..My son turned me against Rock, playing it so loud, in our Home growing up LOL Intil he was older and I talked him into listening to All types of music. Lots to appreciate in all Genres. He teases me about being Country ha!
We got Nashville on our TV and Radio and we listened to the Grand Ole Opry in the Country, it was so wonderful years ago
and still is, thanks to Alan Jackson and more like him.My Mother loved Hank Williams he was to appear,Mom was  so excited, but he called in that they got lost on the Country roads, I sincerely doubt it, died too soon.,many , many greats in Country! I liked Tammy Wynette, she lived her heartache, I think, but one could tell by her singing, she lived it..Now I listen to Alan mostly but Harry Connick Jr is niceto listen to also. I like also this Country or whatever it is called.On You Tube.-Husky Burnette - "Dog Me Down" ft. Bethany Stump of River City Hustlers . I think they are from Chattanooga LOL So my taste are really varied huh.. oh Yes! Love the Symphony to!
I can't wait to see Alan soon..He is the Best in Country music, my opinon, but your tastes might be different. we can choose whomever we like to listen to. I listen to radio a LOT but some Country Stations are closing, a shame..
Jerrie-MS
[/b]
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:33:23 pm by Jeri_MS » Logged

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
miamired

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 11:03:53 pm »

Jeri, thank you from the bottom of my heart for the very kind words!  Please forgive my abbreviated response.  It has been a hetic day here in Miami.  We are under a tropical storm watch.  So far, so good in my end of Miami.  I am located app. 5 miles from the University of Miami.

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/tracking_tropics/21002338812567/

I can relate to so much of what you said.  I get the feeling that you recall the beautiful melodies of Crosby, Stills and Nash, The Mama's and the Papa's, etc.

Like the Catholic vs. Protestant religons: We have more in common, than that which seperates us.  I recently spoke to a member of the clergy.  I spoke of my  observation that the members of our  church seem to look alike, dress alike, talk the same, share the same politics, etc.  Are we really getting the message of "love" across with such ?

I respectfully disagree that speaking about anything other than AJ would be disrespectful.  AJ has always held his fans in the highest esteem.  I would be proud to show AJ or anyone else here my music collection.  It's as though:  "Look here, AJ, you are on my  list!  A list that I again, hold in pride, and have added AJ to.

Jeri_MS

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 11:49:32 am »

miamired ,

Thank You for the response. Like you, I think we are all more alike, than different.The reason for my saying posting about others in the other topics would be wrong, is that the Board is laid out as such. The other topics were designed to discuss
about Alan's Music and His Tours. This is  a way for Us to get News about where Alan Is and what he is doing amd all infomation that His Fans want to know about Tours. He has Fans worldwide and it's not much space to post Important things, unless it is done this way.. This Site allows us freedom to post more, than before. Our Posts however, should be respectful for anyone. Including language etc..Anything for children to read.
 You are so right, Catholics are allowed to marry Protestants and years afo this wasn't possible . My daughter married but in an InterFaith Marriage, her being Presbyterian and Him Catholic..The off Topic is for Everyone. Am I wrong Cindy?
It looks like the storm will be tropical and just rain, so not to worry..It goes by my Sister's home in central , FL also.. She is staying home.Their home is built to withstand up to 200 mph winds ha! Perhaps invite someone to stay with you during this tim, it helps to be with someone.We are leaving to go see the All for the Hall soon, but Our daughter and family stays here in our house, as the lines are below ground here and my power is on with the Hospital and has yet to go off for long.
I'm sure you will be ok. Do you have friend further away to visit, if you think it comes to that. We used to go to MS as we have another home there.
BTW, yes I remember "Crosby, Stills and Nash, also the Mama's and the Papa's," but as we age, I suppose it limits my listening to fewer Artists, so busy with the babies in the family LOL. we still manage to go to the Symphony at times. ha
Take care and watch out  online for the storm, I have a weather Alert on my Computer and I can check it as necessary, it really helps to plan trips etc.. Take care now, Jerrie-MS
PS- I have been an AJ Fan for years but I met him in MS 2009 and he is just so super nice, he will be forever on my list.
I Love his Voice and he can sing any song and make it his own, he's realy great! Love his "I'll Go On Loving You"Song and Video. I must order the ones on here now, but have been so busy getting things ready to leave for Nashville.Take care

/color]

I enjoyed the Meet and Greet in Tupelo!
Thanks so much for your time! Nice meeting you Alan!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: